ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-29-2017   #1
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default In light of a pushrod "LT5"...

...what does our crystal ball foretell for prices of our cars (not that I give a hoot, personally)?

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017   #2
A1990

Default Re: In light of a pushrod "LT5"...

And from what I can tell there will be a DOHC but won’t be called LT5.

Sent from my iPhone using ZR-1 Net Registry
90 ZR-1 #2562 Atomic-Z
ZR-1 Net Registry Chairman of the Board
ZR-1 Net Registry Treasurer
A1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017   #3
5ABI VT

I believe this is GMs way of helping forget the dohc LT5. When people will refer to LT5 in the future they will think c7 zr1. when the new dohc comes.. if it ever does come... it will be something else.
5ABI VT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017   #4
Top Toy

I know there's a lot of disappointment among us original LT5'ers that GM chose to use our DOHC code for a pushrod engine but, on the flip side, I think we can also feel honored that they chose the LT5 as well as ZR1 badges to once again represent the fastest, baddest Corvette of all time! And I, frankly, wouldn't mind having the C7 version sitting next to the original in my garage!😉

Sent from my HTC U11 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
'95 ZR-1, aqua/gray, #167
368 LPE/Haibeck, Web cams, Stainless Works headers, B&B Fusion exhaust, 18" Fikse wheels, Alcon brakes, lowered. 491 SAE RWHP.
Top Toy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017   #5
Vette73

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5ABI VT View Post
I believe this is GMs way of helping forget the dohc LT5. When people will refer to LT5 in the future they will think c7 zr1. when the new dohc comes.. if it ever does come... it will be something else.
I agree..The Z was a hit in 1990..The following year when all vettes got the concave rear and the LT-1 appeared,it closed the gap....

Heads,cam,headers and a chip on the LT-1 and it closed the gap even more so for a hell of a lot less money....

I have been to a few car shows w my Z and many just take it for a standard Corvette.....All though, the true car enthusiast knows the place the Z has in automotive history...

Sent from my LG-TP260 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017   #6
DRM500RUBYZR-1

"foretell the price of our cars"

I have 28 different crystal balls in my desk, each with a different answer!

The general Corvette crowd, excluding ourselves, could not really give two hoots over pushrods, cams, Lotus, Stillwater etc.

They look at horsepower and looks and then see if it can beat the cars that they compete against in any kind of contest.

This could mean 1/4 mile, a twisty track, a parking lot full of cones, a wide interstate, a country back road, or a parking lot filled with highly detailed cars that have never seen any of the above, and the smell of detail spray fills the air.

More of these wonderful cars are bench-raced today then when they were new.

No matter; Nothing really wrong with that.

Value over time is driven by demand, time itself, rarity, and "coolness".

All cars get old.
An old Edsel is worth more today than when it was new, same with a Vega or even a Pinto.
So age alone can and does add value. It has been proven time and time again and again. So why wouldn't a Corvette increase at least the same as all other cars?

Rarity, well 6900 or so doesn't make it the hope diamond rare, but ZR-1's are relatively rare in the circle they play in, that of collectable cars. Many are far more rare, but many more are far less rare.

"Coolness" well most think ZR-1's are "way cool".
I always did, and always will.

Yes, if my hood is down, people may pass it by.
But with the hood up, well there have been CROWDS around it at some shows, yes, Crowds!

I can say this.

ZR-1's may be very fast, but they do not sell very fast!

So forget about the fast routes like auctions, 5 day internet sales, etc.
They will sell in those environments..... for peanuts.

Cars will always be MOST appealing to the "kid" that loved it when they were in their mid teens.

Well if I was 15 in the 90's ( don't I wish) I would be in my forties today.

While for some it may happen earlier or later, most 40 something's finally achieve the luxury of that wonderful thing called "discretionary income".

Once that happens, the pursuit of dreams kicks into high gear! Whether it is the membership to the best country club in the area, or a Porsche, A Boat, an Aston, or just maybe the car that was the poster on their bedroom wall.... a ZR-1(unless your a movie mogul or an anchor )!

This pool of buyers, from their twenties to their seventies are the guys and gals that just have to have a ZR-1.

But, they want the BEST one THEIR budget permits.
They search them out; they pour over every detail, they compare and contrast every available one, and then it happens.

They find "THEIR ZR-1"

That process can happen at an auction, but rarely does. ZR-1 buyers want to know everything about their car. That is hard to do at an auction or from a 3 day bay sale.

ZR-1 buys take time! ZR-1 buyers typically know every last detail. They know near everything about what is about to become THEIR Dream car!

So, if you are planning on selling a ZR-1, make it as right as you possibly can. Don't overlook the small details.

Place it where it can be found and looked at, and looked at, and , well you get the idea.

Then it will sell.

Back to the original question.

Prices will certainly continue, yes continue to rise for cars that have been well maintained and properly prepared.

If you are contemplating an upgrade now would be a good time to make a move.

More and more "restored" ZR-1s are showing up, and that is always a good sign.

The best cars will get the best money, but deals are always out there too, just make sure that the car is as expected!

7500 RPM here we go!
Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017   #7
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 View Post
"foretell the price of our cars"

I have 28 different crystal balls in my desk, each with a different answer!

The general Corvette crowd, excluding ourselves, could not really give two hoots over pushrods, cams, Lotus, Stillwater etc.

They look at horsepower and looks and then see if it can beat the cars that they compete against in any kind of contest.

This could mean 1/4 mile, a twisty track, a parking lot full of cones, a wide interstate, a country back road, or a parking lot filled with highly detailed cars that have never seen any of the above, and the smell of detail spray fills the air.

More of these wonderful cars are bench-raced today then when they were new.

No matter; Nothing really wrong with that.

Value over time is driven by demand, time itself, rarity, and "coolness".

All cars get old.
An old Edsel is worth more today than when it was new, same with a Vega or even a Pinto.
So age alone can and does add value. It has been proven time and time again and again. So why wouldn't a Corvette increase at least the same as all other cars?

Rarity, well 6900 or so doesn't make it the hope diamond rare, but ZR-1's are relatively rare in the circle they play in, that of collectable cars. Many are far more rare, but many more are far less rare.

"Coolness" well most think ZR-1's are "way cool".
I always did, and always will.

Yes, if my hood is down, people may pass it by.
But with the hood up, well there have been CROWDS around it at some shows, yes, Crowds!

I can say this.

ZR-1's may be very fast, but they do not sell very fast!

So forget about the fast routes like auctions, 5 day internet sales, etc.
They will sell in those environments..... for peanuts.

Cars will always be MOST appealing to the "kid" that loved it when they were in their mid teens.

Well if I was 15 in the 90's ( don't I wish) I would be in my forties today.

While for some it may happen earlier or later, most 40 something's finally achieve the luxury of that wonderful thing called "discretionary income".

Once that happens, the pursuit of dreams kicks into high gear! Whether it is the membership to the best country club in the area, or a Porsche, A Boat, an Aston, or just maybe the car that was the poster on their bedroom wall.... a ZR-1(unless your a movie mogul or an anchor )!

This pool of buyers, from their twenties to their seventies are the guys and gals that just have to have a ZR-1.

But, they want the BEST one THEIR budget permits.
They search them out; they pour over every detail, they compare and contrast every available one, and then it happens.

They find "THEIR ZR-1"

That process can happen at an auction, but rarely does. ZR-1 buyers want to know everything about their car. That is hard to do at an auction or from a 3 day bay sale.

ZR-1 buys take time! ZR-1 buyers typically know every last detail. They know near everything about what is about to become THEIR Dream car!

So, if you are planning on selling a ZR-1, make it as right as you possibly can. Don't overlook the small details.

Place it where it can be found and looked at, and looked at, and , well you get the idea.

Then it will sell.

Back to the original question.

Prices will certainly continue, yes continue to rise for cars that have been well maintained and properly prepared.

If you are contemplating an upgrade now would be a good time to make a move.

More and more "restored" ZR-1s are showing up, and that is always a good sign.

The best cars will get the best money, but deals are always out there too, just make sure that the car is as expected!

7500 RPM here we go!
Marty
Thoughtful. Nicely said, Marty.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017   #8
Tripler

Very well said Marty ...

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk
Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017   #9
32valvesftw

Nice write up Marty,

For me its an engineering thing, these engines are hand built and dyno tested, I do not think that happens much anymore, maybe AMGs and M cars. But the ZR-1 was made in 90! I love the story behind the world records as well. I guess I really appreciate a special engine. Regarding value I think these cars are a great bargain but the owner needs to understand what they are dealing with. Most local mechanics will struggle to deal with engine and engine control system issues. So you will need to do your own homework to solve some problems. That said I think any good mechanic with the books and info can figure these out, but they have to want to. Regarding the new LT5 I think those buyers are a different client for Chevy so we will not see much impact.
32valvesftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017   #10
ssrszz4

I believe all C4's are going to increase in the next few years barring an economic melt down.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk
ssrszz4 is offline   Reply With Quote