ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 02-25-2018   #1
zr1assassin

Default Who has removed the fx3 Holstein shocks to lower

I want to lower the car and I wouldn't mind getting rid of the cumbersome hokee selective ride fx3 Bilstein bs shocks system. Who has done this, what shocks did you use, how much did it lower it?
zr1assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018   #2
XfireZ51

Default Re: Who has removed the fx3 Holstein shocks to lower

Removing the Bilsteins won’t lower the car unless u use coilovers. Otherwise u need to remove the mounting spacers on the leaf springs.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018   #3
RussMcB

I'm curious - What do you think is bad about the FX3 Bilstein shocks? I think they're pretty cool and work well (for me).
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018   #4
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Removing the Bilsteins won’t lower the car unless u use coilovers. Otherwise u need to remove the mounting spacers on the leaf springs.
Spacers on the front Springs, longer drop bolts on the rear springs. The spacers will only give you an inch give or take. If you want to go farther on the front it will require coilovers or different springs. Based on what you did on your C7 you might as well just go to the coilovers straight away for unlimited adjustability.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018   #5
zr1assassin

Thanks guys, I should elaborate a little I guess. I have a "service ride controls" light on ( typical ) for these fx3 systems as I'm sure all of you have had to Jack with at some point😠. I could chase it down to which actuator, hope it's that and not the shock but all the shocks probably need rebuilt anyways, it's a 26yr old car, so now your looking at what 1500-2000? And honestly if I remember correctly from my 90z you really don't get a hole lot of change out of the system when it's working properly. On my c7z when you change ride settings IT CHANGES, you feel a huge difference! Maybe I just have a bad taste in my mind for these c4 fx3 systems but I'm like (yup not dealing with this headache) when the light came on. I might just throw new shocks on and cut the adjustable ride system out of the entire equation, then do the drop tricks, an inch or two would be good enough. .....your thoughts?
Old 02-25-2018   #6
WVZR-1

It costs nothing to do the diagnostics so I believe it's where I'd start! It's certainly more salable (if removed) if you know it's shortcomings. Drive it!! I thought I had seen you mention getting it back into 'shape'!

The SRC 'DIC' is I guess what you were questioning in that very early post when you were just an interested buyer a couple thousand miles away!!

Last edited by WVZR-1; 02-25-2018 at 01:09 PM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018   #7
zr1assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
It costs nothing to do the diagnostics so I believe it's where I'd start! It's certainly more salable (if removed) if you know it's shortcomings. Drive it!! I thought I had seen you mention getting it back into 'shape'!
Ya this is part of getting it back into shape, the system needs addressed and I'm sure it could use new shocks
Old 02-25-2018   #8
Vette73

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1assassin View Post
Thanks guys, I should elaborate a little I guess. I have a "service ride controls" light on ( typical ) for these fx3 systems as I'm sure all of you have had to Jack with at some point😠. I could chase it down to which actuator, hope it's that and not the shock but all the shocks probably need rebuilt anyways, it's a 26yr old car, so now your looking at what 1500-2000? And honestly if I remember correctly from my 90z you really don't get a hole lot of change out of the system when it's working properly. On my c7z when you change ride settings IT CHANGES, you feel a huge difference! Maybe I just have a bad taste in my mind for these c4 fx3 systems but I'm like (yup not dealing with this headache) when the light came on. I might just throw new shocks on and cut the adjustable ride system out of the entire equation, then do the drop tricks, an inch or two would be good enough. .....your thoughts?
I, like you purchased my 91 Z sight unseen.....Saw 60 photos prior and a video as well.....When car arrived it was exactly as described more or less...Nice paint, good rubber and mechanically sound.....
To be honest this was my first endeavor into C-4 land.....I must say the ride is very stiff, even on the softest setting...My rears are leaking and have picked up a good set from a forum member which I have not yet installed..

I don't daily drive my Z, if I did I think my car would be destroyed within a few years......Between the temp going from 2 degrees to 98 degrees in the year and the amount of vehs on the road, the streets take a beating...

You would think with the amount of money we pay to live in NY the streets would be in better shape..

With that,
I rarely if at all have had the setting on the stiffest setting...

A few weeks ago I got a chance to drive a C-5 Z06 .....I have to say the car rode so much nicer as far as suspension than my Z......I guess that's understandable since I hear the chassis was greatly improved from the previous year....

Keep us posted on your suspension upgrades if any....

Peace....

Sent from my LG-TP260 using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018   #9
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Or retain the FX-3 system and go to coil-overs as well. The best of both worlds IMHO and no spacers, no wedges and no lowering brackets.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 02-25-2018 at 04:19 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2018   #10
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1assassin View Post
http://www.captainzcnc.com/ Look at the diagnosis procedures on this site. As WVZR-1 suggests it may improve your ride.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote