ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-29-2020   #1
Curtis

Default 02 sensors equals spitting hate

First the the engineer that thought connecting the plug on that little piece of steel was a good idea on the pass side..... you owe me a filet at the Montana grille in bowling green

Second to the bean counter that didn?t allow the engineers the 6 extra inches of wire to make life easier to extend the harnesses .... you better not show up at the Montana grille 😎

Either way I thought they were ok but gentlemen they were not and also one of the new ones I put in didn?t work either ..... so after checking with a meter found the drivers side new one didn?t match the passenger side reading so swapped it out for another new one life is better.... drivers side controls passenger side of motor which is still puzzling my brain but whatever..... must have bead blasted the passenger plugs 6 times last week

Was a mess started out both bungs were destroyed, work hardened bungs vs a cheap thread chaser was no joy .... but mig welder and fresh bungs worked out also while under there we installed wideband bung and lm-2 installed.....

Then when fuel trims went to hog rich and sounded like detonation figured out vacuum pump died since covid started so ordered one from eBay and installed today....haven?t went much past 40 since March

Sideways in first crooked in second and pulls to redline better than it has since I got the car last October......that?s the spitting hate part ....4K hit in 1st is violent now to bad that feeling will pass after a few more times

So
change your sensors ASAP
Buy 2 new bungs just in case
Buy a tap not a thread chaser but a tap just in case
18mm x 1.5 pitch
Your car will thank you
also a wideband of some flavor is never a bad idea

The lm2 handheld I have is older and only has one sensor but they do make them with two leads..... and fits nicely under the passenger seat

Hopefully this helps someone out
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020   #2
Young1

Default Re: 02 sensors equals spitting hate

4 bolts takes off the 45 degree K member on passenger side and that helps. I did buy a weather pack connector and made my own extension with pig tail cut off bad sensor. Easy peasy next time.
1991 ZR-1 Quasar Blue Metallic/Black #729
Second Owner
1991 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Black #2040
SOLD

1990 ZR-1 Dark Red Metallic/Saddle #1670
SOLD
Double your happiness.....complain half as much.
Young1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020   #3
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: 02 sensors equals spitting hate

Adding to this, I installed the bungs facing (more or less) horizontally* (outward) on my long tube header collectors. That facilitates easy access for inserting a wide-band sensor when needed (for tuning, etc.).

*The bungs are set so the O2 sensors are angled slightly up to avoid road hazards and/or rain water from being a problem. (And, I can report that after 8 driving seasons, and one horrific episode when the car went airborne and came crashing down on soft earth, the O2s suffered not in the least, mounted as they are!)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote