ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-31-2008   #1
cuisinartvette

Unhappy Giving them away

Looks like my bucket is going to get full price....Bittersweet is an understatement.

See a lot of 20k mile cars selling for the same price range, I dont get it . A decent ZR1 shouldnt sell for less than 20k...Its a ZR1.

Cant fake em, cant clone em.

Sad to see them being dumped for nothing, the are really a special car, maybe they just become common place for us after while.

Thoughts?
Old 07-31-2008   #2
bobbyhi

Default Re: Giving them away

Ron, I have to agree with you. I don't know why the bottom has really fallen out for the Z's. Could it be that the NCRS boys want the stock ones and forget about the ones that have been modified? I would much rather have the mods that I have done than stock. We have a new Z here in town that is stock. When he starts it up you cannot hear the exhaust. What a waste. Too many will become trailer queens and demand a higher price. With over 68K on mine I won't get crap for it when it comes time sell. I figure in the next 20 years or so the Z's will become the '67 435's and demand a very high price. Just my thinking..........
1990 #2405 White/Gray
Haibeck chip,4:09 gears,Power Effects Exhaust,5 spoke chrome,C5 brakes,49th Street rockers,K&N,Hurst,Headers,Upper & lower ported

Minnesota State Director
Founding Member #19
bobbyhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #3
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyhi
Could it be that the NCRS boys want the stock ones and forget about the ones that have been modified?
Nail on the head
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #4
FU

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyhi
Could it be that the NCRS boys want the stock ones and forget about the ones that have been modified?
Put them away and save them for the next guy Could never see the point.
Or part them out...some cars are going for that cheap !
Life's short I'll mod mine and enjoy them. "F" the next guy routine !

Now.... back to your regularly scheduled program

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237

Last edited by FU; 07-31-2008 at 05:02 PM.
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #5
tomtom72

They are special cars!

They just made too many the first coupla yrs. I think that has a lot to do with the 90's (specially the 90's) bringing any cash....unless it's a time capsule w/the wrappers still on the seat belts. Otherwise there are whats left out of the 3000+ cars made that yr.

As far as mods go....with the most common mods done how can you tell? P & P don't have any visable signs....headers are replacements for when your early welded on cats go south. I don't think that the NCRS can be blamed for much. There will always be some who want a bone stock car, and then there are the rest that want a car to use & enjoy.

I went to a cruise in last night up in Norwalk CT. Had to be 200 cars there, all kinds from rat rods to one of those C5 conversions to a C1, to superformance cobras & 427/C2's, and..........there were two 90 ZR-1's out of all those cars. Alot of times I go on a sunday AM to a place called Captree in the fall, gotta be 2-300 cars on a busy day at this place. Most times you can count the number of ZR-1's on one had & have fingers left over. There is another place I go on saturday afternoons in CT in Danbury...they get 200 cars solid at every meet....mostly I'm the only ZR-1 there 90% of the time...no B.S......these are special cars, Ron....trouble is they are mostly only special to those of us that own them.

Okay, rant off.... I'll go take my meds now!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008   #6
HADI-ZR1

Ron, put one chik next to you when you want sell the Z, and price should go up!!
if i had place and time for another Zr1 , i would pick Red one!

For you Ron.

Last edited by HADI-ZR1; 07-31-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-31-2008   #7
cuisinartvette

Quote:
trouble is they are mostly only special to those of us that own them.
Im guessing youre right..These things are pretty muchorgotten and many see them as another aging C4 with some strange motor. The latest and greatest out there isnt that much $ so maybe its just us enthusiasts left that appreciate them? Im all for being able to buy one reasonably but my God the lower mile cars Ive seen selling for 18, 20K I cant believe it yet a clean LT4 can sometimes bring the same money.
I know a guy out in Riverside Ca. an 800 mile black/black 90 that would be lucky to get 25k..Before things went south for me I came real close to buying it. So what if it needed a few grand sunk into it?
Yet nobody wants it, maybe a Z06 looksbetter as its newer and newer rules all?

To me, saving them for 10-20 yrs...By that time Il be too old to care and the maintenance, reg, ins would eat up any perceived profit IMO.
Whose to say the car wouldnt need a freshing up of interior, paint, etc by that time anyway? What do you gain really.

My hats are off to the guys driving them and modding....hell yeah!
Old 07-31-2008   #8
louispf

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72
They are special cars![code]

They just made too many the first coupla yrs. I think that has a lot to do with the 90's (specially the 90's) bringing any cash....unless it's a time capsule w/the wrappers still on the seat belts. Otherwise there are whats left out of the 3000+ cars made that yr.

As far as mods go....with the most common mods done how can you tell? P & P don't have any visable signs....headers are replacements for when your early welded on cats go south. I don't think that the NCRS can be blamed for much. There will always be some who want a bone stock car, and then there are the rest that want a car to use & enjoy.

I went to a cruise in last night up in Norwalk CT. Had to be 200 cars there, all kinds from rat rods to one of those C5 conversions to a C1, to superformance cobras & 427/C2's, and..........there were two 90 ZR-1's out of all those cars. Alot of times I go on a sunday AM to a place called Captree in the fall, gotta be 2-300 cars on a busy day at this place. Most times you can count the number of ZR-1's on one had & have fingers left over. There is another place I go on saturday afternoons in CT in Danbury...they get 200 cars solid at every meet....mostly I'm the only ZR-1 there 90% of the time...no B.S......these are special cars, Ron....trouble is they are mostly only special to those of us that own them.

Okay, rant off.... I'll go take my meds now!
In our arena, the registry & the zr1 forum we are our own worst enemy in devaluing our Z's. I was @ the Norwalk, Ct. event last night w/ Tom. The 2 of us parked next to each other. Within a couple minuets of parking & opening our hoods we were swamped with people asking tons of questions. Purest from the Hot Rod & Custom arenas were in awe. They were for the most part all familiar with the "King of the Hill" although none have ever seen one.. While answering tons of questions & educating our admirers they were all shocked that our cars are not selling for much more then what I had told them the going prices were. Go to the other forums & the other C groups never talk as smack about their Vettes as we do. I have been around Vettes since 1972 & have bought & sold my fair share & have seen it all. Ups & downs, recessions, skyrocketing markets. We need to have a positive response to the public about these cars & stop devaluing them to all that read our forums to educate themselves on rare & potentially appreciating automobiles. A rare stock automobile that is taken care will always be an investment that you can enjoy. We are to accustom to investments sky rocking overnight. A stock or bond that tanks can only be used for toilet paper, art that tanks can only be looked @ in disgust. A car can always be used or driven. These (our ZR1's) are the next Big Brake, Fuelie, Big Block Tri Powers & LT1's. But first we must all give them the respect that they rightfully deserve.
louispf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #9
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default I couldn't agree more!!

Very well said. My thoughts, zackly!

P.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008   #10
Sihler

Just a week ago or so, on the other forum, somebody was asking what they should offer for a black '90 with less than 1000 miles on the clock that wouldn't start and hadn't been driven in a while, everyone was telling the guy that a '90 with less than 1000 miles was worth around $25-$28k, so he should offer $20-$25 'cause of the no-start issue. I took exception as I see ultra low mileage(sub 1000 miles) cars always selling above $30 grand, regardless of year. I couldn't believe that our own people were devaluing our cars right in front of my eyes. Those same people bitch and moan whenever someone sells one for cheap, unbelievable.