ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 11-04-2008   #1
GOLDCYLON

Thumbs up Antenna Defeat switch an easy install MOD

Folks most of you know about a week and a half ago a security gate arm dynamically seperated my rear antenna mast off of my car as the gate arm swung downwards before my car cleared. If your using an OEM BOSE factory head unit you are well aware that the lack of power to the antenna makes the antenna retract when the radio is off.

What do you do however if you are running non factory stereo equipment and the antenna stays up all the time? More yet what if your a Sirius or XM listener and dont even listen to AM/FM radio anymore? You can save the wear and tear on the power antenna by installing the solution which is a simple radio antenna defeat switch.

To do this mod you can order the 84-96 Antenna Switch bypass kit from, MADVET part number 616250 @ $17.99. What you will receive is a Micro switch wired to about 6 ft, two pieces of shrink wrap and some instuctions. GC reccomendation is to buy a mirco switch from Radio Shack and take your significant other to Subway with the savings. A standard microswitch is all you need the kind with two poles for a simple off and on function. Or in this case and up or down function. LOL

First pull the 15 AMP blue fuse in the panel (the upper left most fuse) to kill the interior lamps and power to the antenna. You can now open the hatch without running down the battery. Next decide where you want to place the switch I put mine behind my seat facing the back of the seat mounted to the place where your extra top stores. Two screws hold in the plastic cover to the top storage point and the wires and be easily run under the carpet to the back package tray area. Remove the rear tray by pulling the top sliding lock off the top of the tray and start unscrewing the 6 screws that retain the rear package tray. Now look for a power antenna relay underneath the factory foam on the drivers side of the car the relay has two sides to it. One side plugs into the power antenna the other side into the cars main harness you can actually pull up this entire relay and loom to work on it.

Find the Two pink wires that run to power antenna relay. The wires (one light pink the other dark pink) while seperate both plug into the relay together. Cut both these wires, strip them and now combine them with one side the switch wires then combine the other side of the switch wire to the other side of the break. All you are doing is installing a switch in between in order to be abe to manually break the power to the circuit. (Which will cause the radio antenna to now go up and down or staydown for that matter when ever the car is running)

Solder it all together, Heat shrink it and reinstall the rear tray. DONE.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 11-04-2008 at 01:54 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008   #2
QB93Z

Default Re: Antenna Defeat switch an easy install MOD

Thanks for the research and the great write up.

Jim
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008   #3
GOLDCYLON

Thanks Jim one for the good of the cause.

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 11-04-2008   #4
tccrab

Darryl:

A great write up of a mod that some of us could use.

I for one won't, but that's not all that much of a surprise.
In my 5 years of ZR1 ownership, I have *NEVER* turned on the radio while the car was running.
It's quite simple.
The symphony playing under the hood sounds infinitely better than anything that the radio could produce.

TomC
"Crabs"
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008   #5
GOLDCYLON

Come on Tom not even once to play "Magic Carpet Ride" ?

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 11-04-2008   #6
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDCYLON View Post
Come on Tom not even once to play "Magic Carpet Ride" ?

I think Tom is a NKOTB fan.
Old 11-04-2008   #7
tccrab

You guys are just hurtful.
I might be tempted to blast at high volume "Radar Love", or "I Can't Drive 55", or "Back In Black".
But you can be sure that I'd NEVER listen to anything by New Kids On The Block.
Ever.

Cirius.

TomC
"Crabs"
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[/B]
Old 11-04-2008   #8
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccrab View Post
You guys are just hurtful.
I might be tempted to blast at high volume "Radar Love", or "I Can't Drive 55", or "Back In Black".
But you can be sure that I'd NEVER listen to anything by New Kids On The Block.
Ever.

Cirius.

TomC
"Crabs"

LMAO. Come on Tom. It's ok.
Old 11-04-2008   #9
tccrab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeffvette View Post
LMAO. Come on Tom. It's ok.
Them's fighting words.

I'd rather kiss Hillary Clinton full on the lips than to deface my Z with NKOTB.

TomC
"Crabs"
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[/B]
Old 11-04-2008   #10
Jeffvette

Quote:
Originally Posted by tccrab View Post
Them's fighting words.

I'd rather kiss Hillary Clinton full on the lips than to deface my Z with NKOTB.

TomC
"Crabs"
Brave man you are.