ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-09-2012   #11
Brad Sewell

Default Re: Charging weak battery

I put an Odyssey in mine recently. Obviously I don't have an opinion on longevity yet, but the AGM batteries have a lot to offer for cars that are not driven often. And I did not have to modify the battery case or the compartment to make it work.
Brad Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012   #12
scottfab

It's been a while for a battery thread. There's some good stuff in past threads should you want to look.
There's a lot to be considered when choosing a battery but even if you want to just buy the most expensive one you can find at least make sure it has not sat for a long time on a shelf. I don't care what type you get it it's sat for a long time they will suffer from Sulfation
Google it.
My favorite thing to do is find a auto store that has just opened. The batteries there will be fresh.

Note these cars don't go through batteries as much as they are more sensitive to a low battery than most cars. This translates to "no start" conditions. I would caution about using anywhere near 2A as a maintenance charge. It will boil away the fluid eventually. The consensus for many years has been to use a "float charger".

I've never had to remove the batter connectors to charge a battery. If you going to use larger current like 10A (or even 2A) use a timer on the charger (any Christmas light timer or such will do)
Finally someone said that if you fully discharge a batter that it'll never quite be the same. This is true. Deep cycling a car battery is never a good thing. I euphemistically refer to it as "aging" a battery. It's like tacking 10yr to a humans life. That extra decade will come back to haunt you no matter how well you think you charged up the battery.

If you find a fresh battery, never deep cycle it and keep a float charger on it there is no reason you can't get 6-8yrs out of it.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012   #13
Dime

Well I ended up putting a Napa Legend 75 in it. It's clearly a deka. Another thing I noticed was a small amount of fluid on the side of the battery that looked like it came out of the right vent; wiped it down with wet rags and put it in the car. Would that be something to worry about it doing again? I assume it happened on the drive home.
Old 05-10-2012   #14
VetteMed

I can't say I've had a new battery leak acid like that... perhaps there's a defective cap?
1991 ZR-1 #302 White/Gray (sold)
1991 ZR-1 #1147 Red/Saddle (sold)
VetteMed is offline   Reply With Quote