ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 09-25-2012   #21
BigJohn

Default Re: Is the ZR-1 going to appreciate in value eventually?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZONER 95 View Post
Speaking of the Future.......I wouldn't mind a nice, low mileage DeLorean in my portfolio.....
Really!!!
Did you know that you can still buy them new!!!!
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012   #22
ZONER 95

Yes, I do remember seeing that ...somewhere down South....hopefully they upgraded the power plant......cool looking vehicle, just lacked the power to go along with the looks...
95 ZR-1 #178
Black/Beige
Dunn Heads
ZONER 95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012   #23
scottfab

Quote:
Yes, I do remember seeing that ...somewhere down South....hopefully they upgraded the power plant......cool looking vehicle, just lacked the power to go along with the looks...
An LT5 in a DeLorean. hmmmm
That would be 1.21 Giga Watts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mjCRUvX2D0E

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012   #24
Fully Vetted

Quote:
Originally Posted by AT T 2D View Post
Demand is a very finicky thing and it is hard trying to pick the ones that will go up in value. They made 547 1987 GNX's which are very similar to the other thousands of GN, T Types, & Limited turbos. To me the Regal is a car my parents drove with a hopped up engine.

They made 1,550 1989 20th Anniversary Trans Am's with a very similar engine and 17 lbs of boost. The TTA's are a bit faster, and aren't limited to around 120 MPH top speed like the GNX. They also go around corners. A typical Trans Am of that generation is lucky to get into the mid 15's in the quarter compared to the TTA which is low 13's or high 12's.

The TTA has not appreciated like the GNX. I think the reason the GNX has gone up in value is that there are so few and the market is tightly controlled. I know one person who has 5 or 6 of them. There were well over 5,000 C4 ZR-1's which I think will keep the prices from getting too high.

Even the standard run of the mill GN's have gone up. A few years ago I was considering one and could have had my pick in the $10k - $12k range. While there are still some examples out there at that price the nice ones are now $17k and up. That has to be the poster child for Limited Production mass produced american made car. That car, if memory serves, was around $30k new and dropped in price too the point that every high school kid in shop had one and finding one now that hasn't been beat to death on the drag strip is difficult. I don't believe that problem will apply to the C4 ZR-1.
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012   #25
dan1495

Quote:
They are built/rejuvenated in Houston Texas by Delorean Motor Company. They have several engine upgrade packages. It is a neat place to visit and the owner Stephen Wynne is a class act.
dan1495 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012   #26
Alberta_ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
it's a limited edition mass produced american car... the answer is who cares. I'll be dead by the time it matters. i'll let my nephews fight it out......cars are not investments.......The gallardo 458 and aventador are all going to drop. The Lfa may go up
I don't think there is any argument about Lamborghini or Ferrari...the resale prices aren't anywhere near the sticker price. The only thing that makes them seem collectible is their price...a $150k Lambo seems like a collectors piece to someone who doesn't realize that some poor sap already had paid $220k.

One particular Ferrari investment, the F40, primarily the 1990-1991’s. They were ~$300,000.00 new and NADA is showing a high value of $699,000.00. Not a bad return on 20 year investment.

Some domestics that come to mind is the Ford GT - only 4000 made and a MSRP of ~$150,000.00 and you’ll be hard pressed to find one even remotely close to that price now. What about in 20 years? Or the 2000 Mustang Cobra R, it hasn’t gained a lot but resale is still higher than the sticker, so I’d say that qualifies for a gain too.

Might be mixed reactions on this, but the 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha (with the Duramax), these things are still generally higher than the sticker price, sometimes by as much as $50k.

Will the C4 ZR1 go up in price? Only time will tell. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but it sure seems like I've seen/read quite a few magazine articles over the last year that have talked about the C4 ZR1...publicity is sometimes a good thing...

T
Alberta_ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012   #27
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta_ZR1 View Post
... snip...
Will the C4 ZR1 go up in price? Only time will tell. I'm not sure if anyone else has noticed, but it sure seems like I've seen/read quite a few magazine articles over the last year that have talked about the C4 ZR1...publicity is sometimes a good thing...

T
Indeed, only time will tell. I'd guess the price will go up before I check out of this place. Cars can be a VERY GOOD investment if you know which one to pick just like the stock market. Pick Apple.. good....... pick Enron... not so good.

Old 09-25-2012   #28
weneversleep

Yes, Ford GT: good future investment.

One that I believe will be a great future investment is the 2006 Mitsubishi Evolution IX. One year only design, and the final year for the "original" Evo platform. Low production numbers. Strong racing (rally) heritage, and an even stronger worldwide cult following. In the US at least, the best performing Japanese car of its day.

Trust me, we'll see a low mileage Evo IX on Barrett Jackson in 20 years bringing big money. Too bad I sold mine a couple of years ago.

Anyway, back to the ZR-1; I really believe it's going to be a blue-chip Corvette one of these days. It's not super low production numbers, but it's rare enough, and the novelty of the DOHC engine along with the period heritage ("King of the Hill", the 24 hour 175 mph endurance run, etc.) make it a special Vette, and special Vettes are the ones that appreciate over time. As always, condition and mileage will determine overall value, but I do believe that values have bottomed out.

Sure, if you bought one new, you have a long time to wait to even break even, but if you buy one now, I don't think you will lose much money, and have a better-than-average chance of making money.

I'm ready to put my money where my mouth is and buy one soon. My dilemma is: I want to drive and enjoy it as well, not just have it sit in a climate-controlled garage somewhere...

Last edited by weneversleep; 09-25-2012 at 10:35 PM.
weneversleep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012   #29
scottfab

Quote:
Originally Posted by weneversleep View Post
.... snip...
Trust me, we'll see a low mileage Evo IX on Barrett Jackson in 20 years bringing big money. Too bad I sold mine a couple of years ago. .... snip.
Sorry, never heard of them.

Quote:
Sure, if you bought one new, you have a long time to wait to even break even, but if you buy one now, I don't think you will lose much money, and have a better-than-average chance of making money.

... snip....
It maybe time to pick up my second one for sure.

Old 09-26-2012   #30
Alberta_ZR1

Quote:
...one that I believe will be a great future investment is the 2006 Mitsubishi Evolution IX. One year only design, and the final year for the "original" Evo platform.
You're not alone in that thinking. There have been a few magazines and car people who have stated that the 05/06 Evo may be a collector item. Some have speculated that the MR might be a bit more collectible because of the 6-spd transmission, BBS wheels, etc.

Quote:
I don't think you will lose much money, and have a better-than-average chance of making money.

I'm ready to put my money where my mouth is and buy one soon. My dilemma is: I want to drive and enjoy it as well, not just have it sit in a climate-controlled garage somewhere...
I don't think you'll ever lose money. Worst case, you may not potentially make a ton, but I'm sure at this point you'd always be able to recover your initial cost.

With your dilemma, you should go for the happy-medium....the car is meant to be driven, it was designed to be driven, the engineering and time that went into it was meant to be experienced. Just don't be overly abusive, take good car of it, drive it on nice days and then return it to your climate controlled garage for extended absences with a fresh coat of wax and a quality car cover...best of both worlds.
Alberta_ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote