ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-05-2013   #51
Pete

Default Re: endurance record

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCurtner View Post
Would someone share what parts to use to correctly add the electric unit? Part numbers? Sources? Can the whole bypass circuit be BYPASSED? What radiator? I want to go VERY FAST for very long - and all between 5k and 7.1k rpms regularly :-)
Thanks in Advance
If your going to run those type of RPM's for extended time the electric WP will not be good.

You can limit the bypass but can not eliminate it completely,even with electric WP.

Pete
'91 #1635 PoloGreen 350 LT5
11.09 @ 129.27
11.04 @ 128.86
474RWHP 400RWTQ
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFNFOhGGlR4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlRIOMwaDYY
https://sites.google.com/site/peteszr1garage

Last edited by Pete; 06-05-2013 at 01:57 AM.
Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #52
vandornjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
I was there.

Jim Van Dorn was not. In fact, Jim did not get into the ZR1 hobby until year or so later.
Now Hibber. Weren't we supposed to be the same person in those early years?

No, I wasn't there and didn't know anything about it until afterwards.
At the 2010 BBQ Gathering we showed the story of the run and Morrison was there along with others of the run. We gave out videos to many in attendance.

Speaking of water pumps and such. I had one of our techs once leave a clamp loose and started an LT5. The hose came off and the water shot clear across the shop. Someone once told me the LT5 pumped 90 gallons per minute. That seems pretty high but I never tried to verify it.

That's one of the amazing things about the LT5. The AC, PS, alternator, water pump, oil pump, and all the other systems have to work at idle, then all the way up to 7200. And they did it for 24 hours!

The only question I have about the run? What about jackrabbits and coyotes on the track at 180mph?
[B]ZR-1 Registry Member #21[/B]
Pirate Racing
NCM Life Member #399
vandornjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #53
-=Jeff=-

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandornjim View Post
What about jackrabbits and coyotes on the track at 180mph?
The jackrabbits and coyotes were a bit faster then the ZR-1 @ 181 MPH, so they would not get hit

1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013   #54
Fully Vetted

I hear that's why they chose Texas for the record attempt. Animals are just a tad quicker down here.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #55
rkreigh

Some ideas about bringing the Endurance Record BACK to the corvette. Maybe not the C4 ZR-1 (although a nice 415 could do it) but potentially the NEXT ZR-1 or a fully prepped Corvette. the Nardo has had it long enough. time for the corvette to take it again!

>>>> read on if interested.

I have some ideas on how to attract investors and some ideas, potential investors that might be willing to finance such an immense undertaking.

I've talked to Graham over the years and I'm sure that he'd be interested in building the car if the funds were available. Now that Ken owns LPE, my bet is that he would jump on this as a backer and for a marketing opportunity for LPE.

like to get the following "team together" to back and build

Ken Lingenfelter/Graham Behan
Doug Rippie
Kim Baker
Reeves Callaway/Chris Chesnoe
(Chris is right here in VA and a good friend of mine, works as the callaway marketing rep)
Jay Leno (car guy extroadinaire, might be a backer)
HP Computers (own EDS now, might want to get back in for advertising)
Speed Channel
GM (maybe to promote the C7, next ZR-1)
Guildstrand

others...... there are many that MIGHT be interested. the secret is to get widespread support and build a world class team like the first go around.

for drivers,

as many of the original 24 hours team that would want to drive, plus some of the current Corvette team to round out the field. I'm betting that would be the easy part. During the 2010 Anniversary, many of the original team expressed interest in "doing it again" of the opportunity was available.

Anyway, it will take a good business plan and being that this is ONLY for bragging rights, filming the event and getting the celebs air time on a Speed Channel show for advertising purposes about the build of the car, the running of the event, and retaking of the record is the only real attraction.

I would also build a website to collect donations to help fund it and sell patches, merchandise ect.... potentially using a non-profit corp similar to ZR-1 Net Registry.

sounds crazy I know, but it's on my personal "bucket list" to retake the record.

love to get involved organizing this team, the engineering and build of the car, and of course a victory lap or two wouldn't be bad either!!!

run would have to be at Nardo of course, don't know of any other suitable tracks that would work.

running 200+ for 24 hours wont be easy, or cheap, but it's time to bring this record back to the corvette

long overdue. and thanks to Dave and GM for building the one and only ZR-1 to take it the first time and create the legend we all enjoy today. truly a world class team that produced beyond expectation.

time to do it again!!
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #56
LancePearson

You are right, it sounds crazy, not exactly crazy but more or less pointless. Not worth the effort or expense but have at it if you are driven to.
[COLOR=red][I]'91 ZR-1 #00682[/I][/COLOR]
Net Registry #1461
LancePearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #57
rkreigh

the 24 hour record means a lot to the ZR-1 brothers.

nothing in it besides the achievement. kinda like climbing mountains.

but trust me, going fast for a LONG time is a hoot.

if you think 140 is cool, try 200. once you're there you'll understand a whole lot better.
rkreigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #58
Vetman

I love the idea. Because Corvette set the record once before, I would think it would be more likely to happen again. Funding should be easier.... not easy. Getting some heavy hitters behind this, especially G.M would be key. I would hope a track in the U.S. could be located. I would think funding would be more likely if it was run in the U.S. If it was done in Europe, I would schedule a trip at that time to attend. However it would be much more fun to drive my Z to it in the U.S. Sounds like a giant Net Registry party!!!
2011 cts-v 556 HP, manual 6 speed
1955 chev 2dr ht PP 265 3 speed w/OD
Vetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #59
XfireZ51

Ron,
I think you're a dreamer but I LOVE how you dream.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2013   #60
Fully Vetted

I wish there were categories for stock, modified and purpose built cars. I'm more interested in what the record would be for a bone stock car right off the line. Who cares what a modified or purpose built car can do. Then it just becomes a spending challenge more than anything else. I say run a stock car where the only changes allowed would be tires and safety equipment. In this case even our ZR-1's would be considered modified. They changed the gearing so they could run at those speeds and keep it under 6000 rpm because of the cavitation problem. What if they hadn't been allowed to do that and remain in the stock classification? Would the record have been broken? I still think it would have but the margin would've been much smaller.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote