ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 10-29-2013   #91
vandornjim

Default Re: endurance record

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
Pirate ZR-1 crew...just like old times.
Ah alas, boys and girls. There comes a time in life when you just got to know when to stand back and let the young guns get their chance. The good 'ol LT5 was a unique item some 20 years ago but technology has definitely gained in those years.

The LT-5 had (and still does) have a breather problem whereas unusual amounts of oil are piped up into the plenum and ultimately, down the pipes into the combustion chambers. The LT5 also has an incredible rotating mass weight which could be trouble in the long run. Anyway, lots more where that came from.

The cars of today are much lighter and more nimble, not to mention the drivetrain packages. In our old Hot Rod days as a kid, we were happy with 350 real horsepower. We had to pump up the compression, add wicked cams and we got 4 mpg. Ohhhh those days at Lions Drag Strip.

Todays cars are a complete package. No breather problems, 650hp, quite, 30mpg, and 200 MPH. Of course lots and lots would have to be done to make a production car compete, if possible, but there's a whole lot of good starting points with the new technology. Heck, Graham and his boys are getting over 1,000hp!!! (I think 1400 too )

Every once in a while, usually on Weeknds, there are strange sounds coming from across my fence with GM, which sounds a whole lot like a huffer going off. Once in a while I walk over and catch a glimpse...OK, maybe 2....

There's plenty more to come folks.

I just love to take the 'ol Weekndr out once in awhile and listen to that engine. No matter how hard they try, they can't duplicate that sound of 32 valves on a cool night in Bowling Green....
[B]ZR-1 Registry Member #21[/B]
Pirate Racing
NCM Life Member #399

Last edited by vandornjim; 10-29-2013 at 03:54 PM.
vandornjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #92
Daniel_Mc

Jim,
Yes, the cars had their share of problems and the cars of today are defiantly pumping out more HP with less weight. But they lack something and I can't put my finger on it but the cars now just don't do it for me. Flashy yes, fast yes, fun to drive, yes. Still the new cars are lacking... They don't seem to have the soul that the car once had, if that makes any sense. The people that made all of this happen way back when, I feel, were the reason these cars felt so special. Not just the Z's but the C4 in general, it was a hard time within the world and GM it wasn't about the latest and greatest. It was about being the best and the PEOPLE made that happen.

-Daniel

BTW I grew up in the 90's and when the 1991's were built I was in 1st grade so I’m not reliving the muscle car era. Just sayin…
Daniel_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #93
TCurtner

Ok...Jim is of course, technically, and computer-wise 100% correct. BUT (yeah, here it comes)...there is SOMETHING else besides the HP wars and the zoom zoom exteriors. I'm going to try to identify it. Right here.
OK - for the record, I've had (this will sound like I have an addiction, and yes, perhaps it is so, but let's stick to the topic and not go into my trading maniacism):
(2) 2008 viper coupes, (3) C6 Z06s, (2) C6 z51s, several C5s, C4s - many modded -and various and asundry other sports cars, many of which i modded the heck out of myself (how about a 427 in a datsun 280z vert with sidepipes??).

So why the monologue? What has been my favorite performance car - overall - in all of this fanaticism? Well you guessed it, the ZR-1. Why? I'm honestly NOT completely sure. But i CAN identify some reasons...Prof McClellan was really on to something with the C4 and in particular the King. The cockpit is second-to none (not the goofy 80s buttons of course, but the seating, the view and even the kludgy gauges of the early models, and the seasoned positive changes of the later years. The shifter placement, the view over the hood, the road feel, much more) - the sport seats are unmatched to me by anything except the Viper seats (again, we are talking a major manufacturer, and production cars in all of this). I mean REALLY, good grief, the C6 seats suck. I want to be part of the car, one with the car, when i go quickly. And the C4 does this for me. Frankly one of the coolest parts of the design is that you DO have to crawl down into it - i feel like I am putting the car on (I'm 6'3") not just getting into it.
On the track, the feel of the Z is really just unmatched - safe, secure, controlled, never out-of-kilter. i spun the Viper a few times (stayed on track, so no worries) but never the Z. Yes, the Z has less power/torque by over 40% than say the 08 viper, but really on most tracks it's just as entertaining. And we ALL KNOW that with reasonable mods, and weight reduction (even the stock ACR 4th gen weighs in at 34xx lbs) the Z can approach the power/weight ratio of the viper (Don't know why i'm on the Viper - i guess because it is the closest 'feel' to the Z of all of them - the most visceral).
I know this is all apples to oranges to peaches to green beans, but there is MAGIC in this car. The sound of that motor! And much more... I am really considering just modifying my car to the moon, and seeing where it takes me vs. getting the new viper (or the new vette, or a 430/458, etc. etc.
Seriously, part of my reasoning is monetary rationality - the $ spent. For the dollars, it is very difficult to approach the performance of the 90s ZR-1 with anything out there. And with minimal mods, the Z is moving towards the upper 15% of cars available even today (oh yes, and still get 24 - 27 mpg on the highway). And have you priced new PS2s for a viper? I can still re-shoe my toy for well under 700!!
To sum it up, it is still - even today - a hard package to beat when you consider all of it. And HEY, did you ever try to insure that 350,000 McLaren?? Get serious, i have full coverage for just over 300/year.
So now that i've thrown the gauntlet for old vs new, and realizing that it is entirely personal, what say you?
BTW - i still want to go out and beat the old record, even if by 5mph and 1 minute
Old 10-29-2013   #94
tf95ZR1

Great post, Thomas!

FYI, the designation "LT1" has to do with how many posts you have.
When you hit 100, it will magically change to "LT5"
tf95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #95
TCurtner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tf95ZR1 View Post
Great post, Thomas!

FYI, the designation "LT1" has to do with how many posts you have.
When you hit 100, it will magically change to "LT5"
well! ok, thanks! Something to look forward to...
Old 10-29-2013   #96
Blue Flame Restorations

Quote:
Originally Posted by tf95ZR1 View Post
Great post, Thomas!
Yup!
1990 ZR-1 #444 Convertible
1990 ZR-1 Black #966
1991 ZR-1 Quazar Blue #296
1957 Duntov SS Project
Blue Flame Restorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013   #97
vandornjim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel_Mc View Post
Jim,
Yes, the cars had their share of problems and the cars of today are defiantly pumping out more HP with less weight. But they lack something and I can't put my finger on it but the cars now just don't do it for me. Flashy yes, fast yes, fun to drive, yes. Still the new cars are lacking... They don't seem to have the soul that the car once had, if that makes any sense. The people that made all of this happen way back when, I feel, were the reason these cars felt so special. Not just the Z's but the C4 in general, it was a hard time within the world and GM it wasn't about the latest and greatest. It was about being the best and the PEOPLE made that happen.

-Daniel

BTW I grew up in the 90's and when the 1991's were built I was in 1st grade so I’m not reliving the muscle car era. Just sayin…
Oh here we go again with the bait and switch routine....

YOU guys are all full of emotion and pride with the ZR-1. Duh. You think I've been involved as much as I have because I like c6's? The subject guys, as I replied to was, the concept of running a ZR-1 in the WRR, not whether I wash the Weekndr in my underwear....late at night......with the beagle's favorite toy.

If you were in first grade Daniel, then you missed out on some of the most memorable times you could ask for. Yes, the ZR-1 was arguably the most sensational launch of an automobile of the times. The organization of the owners and our continuing loyalty, is just a testament to its legacy. I HOPE YOU CONTINUE TO ENJOY IT.

Oh....one more thing.....the sister car to the EDS ZR-1 was an L98. It didn't do bad either!

No, a potential run for the record would be an effort for sure. And costly. If it were important today, I'd think McLaren or Mercedes would have a go at it.
Now I HAVE been working on another Corvette performance type event. Anyone ever hear of something called........

THE CANNONBALL RUN!!???
[B]ZR-1 Registry Member #21[/B]
Pirate Racing
NCM Life Member #399
vandornjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013   #98
TCurtner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandornjim View Post

Now I HAVE been working on another Corvette performance type event. Anyone ever hear of something called........

THE CANNONBALL RUN!!???
CANNONBALL RUN???!!!?? Count me in!!!!!

Last edited by TCurtner; 10-30-2013 at 11:04 AM.
TCurtner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013   #99
BigJohn

Quote:
Originally Posted by vandornjim View Post

YOU guys are all full of emotion and pride with the ZR-1. Duh. You think I've been involved as much as I have because I like c6's? The subject guys, as I replied to was, the concept of running a ZR-1 in the WRR, not whether I wash the Weekndr in my underwear....late at night......with the beagle's favorite toy.

If you were in first grade Daniel, then you missed out on some of the most memorable times you could ask for. Yes, the ZR-1 was arguably the most sensational launch of an automobile of the times. The organization of the owners and our continuing loyalty, is just a testament to its legacy. I HOPE YOU CONTINUE TO ENJOY IT.

Oh....one more thing.....the sister car to the EDS ZR-1 was an L98. It didn't do bad either!

No, a potential run for the record would be an effort for sure. And costly. If it were important today, I'd think McLaren or Mercedes would have a go at it.

THE CANNONBALL RUN!!???

Oh, no no no not more jail time!!!

BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2013   #100
LancePearson

Instead of the Cannonball why not do the Big Bend Open in Texas? That looks like a lot of fun where you can run your Z two ways about 55 miles each way at a speed time trial selecting the speed you want to try and run. I've thought about it and concluded the costs to get there and back and total are too much but if one were closer I would really like to do that. You take a navigator along and have even more fun.
[COLOR=red][I]'91 ZR-1 #00682[/I][/COLOR]
Net Registry #1461
LancePearson is offline   Reply With Quote