ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 12-12-2013   #31
tccrab

Default Re: "drive the hell out of it"

I've seen the redline through third many many times but have never seen anywhere near the red line in fourth.
Why?
Because I need a longer "Safe" road.
Otherwise, I'd have "Girlfriend" up to "Where Life Begins" (and ends quickly if something goes terribly wrong) a lot more often.

'Crabs
'90ZR1 #792
Honorary Pirate

[B]If it ain't FUN, you're doing something terribly WRONG.
[/B]
tccrab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013   #32
LancePearson

tc, I agree...the road I have is 2.3 miles long with no cross streets, home driveways, etc, nice and flat fairly wide two lane with very little traffic before a gentle turn. I turn left onto it and hit it and I'm too focused to know how many tenths of a mile have gone by when I hit 145 mph but it seems to me to be somewhere around a half to six tenths of a mile. I stay very, very focused on driving and don't look at the instruments much at all. I have a lot of the 2.3 miles left when I lift off and slow back down. I'm not at redline at 145 in fourth and not sure what the rpms were as I just glanced at the speedo and then back on the road as we were covering 211 feet every second.....need a sidekick filming the instruments or logging the data but have not had that. The gal I've dated some gets pissed at around 90 and 145 would give me a wet seat on the passenger side to clean up later!
[COLOR=red][I]'91 ZR-1 #00682[/I][/COLOR]
Net Registry #1461
LancePearson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013   #33
Bob Eyres

I love the quarter mile, but top-end makes me sweat. I've never gone faster than 175mph.

1991 ZR-1 White/Black #1236 (Owner since 1994).
Stock engine with bolt-ons: Hurst shifter,"Forced Air" intake, Coplon duct, Bee Cool Radiator, Demon coils, Jeal prom, Watson headers, X pipe, 3" B&B's, Rippie flywheel, 4:10 gears, A molds, Toyo Proxes-R888's 12.06@117mph. 1.76 60ft.
Bob Eyres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013   #34
Karl

Pedal to the metal.
1993 ZR-1 #211 Yellow On Beige Beast #2
1992 ZR-1 #427 Black On Black *Sold*
1985 L98 Blue On Blue *Sold*
Karl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2013   #35
batchman

I put about 500 miles a year on our beast. About two thirds of those miles are transport to/from events, calmly on the street. When you drive a red Corvette covered in stickers and numbers you do all you can to stay "under the radar".

The rest of those miles are hard enough to consume 4 hubs and 4 tires, about four years running or so. I think maybe I like "driving the hell out of it".

If you're enjoying your car calmly, no problem with that but I like this advice:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueflame
You just need to buy another one to beat on.
Cheers,
- Jeff
[I]91 ZR-1 #1840, autocrossing in SCCA BSP. FIC S/S's
DRM chip/Watson/Borla/lid/LW batt&headlights,
springs, shocks, pads & lines, quick rack & Turn One,
camber brace, 32/22mm sways, A/C halfway deleted
17x11 & 12 CCW's, 315 & 335 Hoosier A6s

[/I]
batchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2013   #36
QB93Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetman View Post
It sounds like everyone in the club "drives the hell out of their z". How many of you are like me and love driving the z carefully, only occasionally exercising the secondaries to keep the cobwebs out, usually in 3rd or 4th gear?

A second question is are there any members with totally stock cars with no intention of modifying it, other than maybe one of Marc's chip to make the car run better.

If I were computer smarter I would turn this into a survey...... ,maybe one of you can do this?
My Yellow 1994 ZR-1 is basically stock. The only mods are a Haibeck chip and a Pioneer Nav system head unit. It is my touring car. 138,000 miles. We have taken many loooong trips in the '94. I have also made several 1/4 mile passes in the car.

Since I have more than 1 ZR-1, the option of leaving the '94 basically stock is easy. The other ZR-1's are modified and each offers very different driving experience.

If I had just one ZR-1, I would port the top end, add a Corsa exhaust, and 4.10:1 rear end. That is the setup on my 1993 and it is a really fun car to drive. I have taken that car on several long road trips and made about 100 quarter mile runs at the drag strip.

Bottom line: The more you drive your ZR-1, the more you will enjoy it.

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote