ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-19-2007   #11
zr-1assassin

Default Re: hesitation ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBBAD94ZR1
I would take a look at the plugs and the gap, my cars did the same thing it was the plugs and the proper gap I used Ngk Irid. problems gone......
RAY
ya, i was considering that as a poss. cause. what did you gap them at?? i think i gapped mine at .035

Last edited by zr-1assassin; 06-19-2007 at 01:29 PM.
zr-1assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2007   #12
zr-1assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticZR1
I have the same problem on my 91' I have no idea what it is either. Please post your outcome...that would be a major help. My car smells like it's running really rich after I put my B&B on. No chip...stone stock.
i will keep you all updated! i talked to mark haibech yesterday and he said the exhaust smelling rich was absolutly normal. i have never had any other car smell like this so it does seem odd to me..... but if mark says its normal...good enouph 4 me! and he said his chip (which i have), is designed to run it lean at WOT, not idleing it in the garage. my next step is the wires and then the plugs again to make SURE they are gapped right. i'm useing ACDelco #5 by the way, may switch over to the ngk and give them a try.
Old 06-20-2007   #13
ArcticZR1

Thanks for the reply. I hear from everybody the NGK plugs are great. I have splitfires which I hear are not so good. What are the best wires to get?
91' White/Red #858
ArcticZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #14
tomtom72

Chris, I see you have a 90. I'm using the stock GM replacement for the FR2LS plugs that came in the 90's. I don't remember the # but it's just a std plug...no trick stuff, no rare earth metals & they work fine but I have stk exhaust and stk chip. Oh, yea the gap is 0.35.

If Mark says the "rich" smell @ idle is okay then my thought is the possible lack of back pressure @ low rpms would/could cause a bit of hesitation?? I would think that electrically speaking if the wires were toast that would show more at high rpms....bad cores and higher loads = poor performance but not at idle unless they were "leaking" and cross arching??? Hood up in a dark garage & no clam shell lights may be a simple test? Or grab some wires and shake them & see what happens?

FWIW, when I replaced my OEM wires I bought a set of Magnecore's off e-bay for like $150 shipped. I like them, they work. I'm sure stk replacements work also for a lot less $.

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member

Last edited by tomtom72; 06-20-2007 at 06:38 AM.
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #15
GrayZ

Only other possible cause i can think of...
you're car got a good look at YOU in
the rearview mirror, and if that is the case.
try driving with a disguise?!!
GrayZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2007   #16
zr-1assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ITLGO2
Only other possible cause i can think of...
you're car got a good look at YOU in
the rearview mirror, and if that is the case.
try driving with a disguise?!!
now just because thats what happened to you does not mean it will happen to others. i think you have consumed one to many slices of pizza and its starting to effect your brain.its already effected your body
Old 06-21-2007   #17
ArcticZR1

RESOLVED - I just changed my plugs this morning. I got the NGK iridiums. The NAPA guy said they were pre gapped. After I swapped them out there was no more stumble. The car seemed to run alot better and smoother. I only have 22k miles on my car and these are the 3rd set of plugs. The split-fires I took out looked like crap. I also put anti-seize per Jeffvette...what a pain the passenger side closest to the firewall was. Be sure to have a magnet!
91' White/Red #858
ArcticZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2007   #18
zr-1assassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticZR1
RESOLVED - I just changed my plugs this morning. I got the NGK iridiums. The NAPA guy said they were pre gapped. After I swapped them out there was no more stumble. The car seemed to run alot better and smoother. I only have 22k miles on my car and these are the 3rd set of plugs. The split-fires I took out looked like crap. I also put anti-seize per Jeffvette...what a pain the passenger side closest to the firewall was. Be sure to have a magnet!
ya, i think thats going to be my next move. thanks for the update! and i know what your talking about on the #8 plug.... i also resorted to a magnet....worked well!
Old 06-22-2007   #19
BBBAD94ZR1

When I used stock plugs .30 ngk ir's no gap, they make a world of difference.
Ray