ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 09-12-2014   #1
BigIke

Default Muffler and Resonator, X-pipe install

Let me start off... I LOVE THIS FLIPPING CAR!!!!

Ok, that is out of the way. I have a 2.75" Borla cat-back installed, I like the sound however I'd like to install an X-pipe.

On my SRT8 Magnum there are 2 resonators at the back of the car and one muffler, we refer to as the suitcase in the middle. When stock I had the resonators removed and then went to a 3" Magnaflow exhaust that the wife said was too quite for her, so i removed the muffler and left the 2 resonators.

Fastforward, my buddy was wanting to do the same thing to a 2 SS 5th Gen Camaro, the resonator was in the middle of the car and the mufflers were at the back.

I want to remove the resonator/muffler in the middle of the ZRJuan and install an X-pipe in it's place.

- Is this done often?
- Is it the resonator or the muffler?

Thanks! Can't wait to open this thing up... I'm a car guy, always have been, I love this car more than I thought possible... So much so that i'm thinking of selling the 800 hp small block E85 Mustang and getting another Juan!!!!

Soon to get the Tach fixed and have this tuned... I know that I'm not actually shifting a bone stock ZRJuan at 8,500 rpm... Would be a lot cooler if i was though!!!!
1991 White ZRJuan #1616
Mileage: 56K Sept-14 -- 113k May-18!!!
God Damn I Love This Car!
BigIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #2
tf95ZR1

Default Re: Muffler and Resonator, X-pipe install

I have the Borla system, removed the resonator and replaced it
with a B & B x-pipe. Love the sound, esp. at WOT.
Yep, it does resonate at ~1800 RPM (which, figures, is usually
my highway cruising RPM) but oh well!
Added benefit: gained 25 hp!
tf95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #3
mike100

The really bad drone at 1900-2100 rpm is more from the muffler than anything else in my experience. My last c4 had a stock LT1 6spd and was all original except the previous owner had borla twin outlet L98 muffs. stock resonator and catalysts still in place and you couldn't hear yourself think in 6th gear on the freeway. Put some turbo mufflers with a single outlet and it was much improved.

it's the mufflers that count. The resonator-ectomy will give it some grumble, but not a whole lot depending on your muffler type.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #4
BigIke

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...yisaAtCz8P8HAQ

Y'all reckon this will fit in there nicely... I can't find a 2.75" pipe, this one is 2.5, they have a 3"... Might be able to use a ruducer clamp to fit the 3"...

What was the B&B part number you used?

Thanks!

Taking the ZRJuan to the heliport in lake charles today... This thing spent enough of it's 23 years in a garage... I'm gonna enjoy it!!!!
1991 White ZRJuan #1616
Mileage: 56K Sept-14 -- 113k May-18!!!
God Damn I Love This Car!
BigIke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #5
LGAFF

Anyone ever wonder why the Corsa system is so efficient than the other systems, even at 2.5 inches? Maybe the H-Pipe is better suited for the ZR-1 than the "X"?

A few years back Hearthrob exhaust tested an X Pipe on the Coyote motor....then an "H"...can't remember the exact numbers thinking 10hp or so....but the "H" outperformed the X
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #6
LGAFF

Here I found the note from heart throb.....this is from a few years ago....

Hi Lee,

Traditionally I would agree that on a small block, dual 3” is too big. But on these later model engines (5.0L 4V Mustang, 6.1L SRT8 Challenger), we are getting very good dyno numbers with dual 3” and an H pipe. Would you car benefit from the H and dual 3”? Possibly, and I would think so. The only true way to be sure is to dyno it. So far, on all late model vehicles, with everything the same, and similarly designed systems, we have been getting better numbers with the H over the X. But that doesn’t mean that your applications, which we have not tested, would not yield different results. I had a 1990 Mustang LX, had both an x and an h on it (this was before we had a dyno to test), I noticed better off the line grunt with the H, but better high end highway passing power with the X. This contradicts what we find on the new 00+ dyno testing. So really, to be sure, the only true way to know is to test both. Your modified ZR1’s may benefit from a 3” dual and an H.

Thanks,
90 #966-150K miles-sold
92 #234-sold
1987 Callaway TT #17
1991 ZR-1 #1359
LGAFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #7
Daniel_Mc

BigIke,

Give Randon Technology a call he can make you one in whatever size you like. He makes a full C4 midsystem also that is very nice (he makes the smooth flow for melrose I believe).

http://www.randomtechnology.com/

-Daniel
Daniel_Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #8
XfireZ51

Interestingly, the stock Z06 exhaust came w an H, but the ZR1 includes an X.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014   #9
USAZR1

BigIke,the man to talk to about custom exhaust work in your area is Roger Witham,owner of Texas Quality Exhaust in North Houston. He built the polished 304 stainless exhaust systems on my former Callaway Aerobody and Jerry's LPE Aerobody. Both were works of art,IMO. Roger can fab almost anything in SS,including custom tips,mufflers,brackets,even custom headers.
Give him a call at (281) 999-8855. Roger is a one-man operation so his prices are very reasonable. I highly recommend him.
1994 ZR-1 White/Red #152 (sold)
1991 ZR-1 Callaway Aerobody #1332 (sold)
1990 ZR-1 Red/Red #952 (sold)
2002 Z06 Torch Red/Mod Red widebody
USAZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote