ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 06-08-2015   #1
emmvette

Default Air Intake Duct Keeps Coming Off

After having the OEM duct come off repeatedly I finally pulled it all the way off instead of just refitting it and found the plastic air filter housing piece it connects to, bent out of shape. See photo below. The pic is of the air filter housing, not the air duct. The bottom portion where the clamp sits is bent up. I'm not sure of the cause of the deformation. It's not in an area where anything is pushing on it other than the clamp, and it shouldn't get too hot that it would deform.

Has anybody seen this? Is there a way to fix it other than replacement? I'm wondering if a hot air gun might be enough to warm it up and reshape it. I don't think this will work, as I can just picture it getting worse instead of better.

Any other thoughts?
Old 06-08-2015   #2
Kevin

Default Re: Air Intake Duct Keeps Coming Off

reinforcement. I have a coplan duct that has an aluminum insert in it, the registry may sell one, if not, I know mark haibeck does
Old 06-08-2015   #3
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Jerry's Gaskets (I believe) can fix you up with a quality snorkel hose (Samco?) that will fix that. As also mentioned, you can do as I did and fabricate an aluminum insert that fits (snugly) inside the OEM snorkel tubing.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #4
PhillipsLT5

Quote:
Originally Posted by emmvette View Post
After having the OEM duct come off repeatedly I finally pulled it all the way off instead of just refitting it and found the plastic air filter housing piece it connects to, bent out of shape. See photo below. The pic is of the air filter housing, not the air duct. The bottom portion where the clamp sits is bent up. I'm not sure of the cause of the deformation. It's not in an area where anything is pushing on it other than the clamp, and it shouldn't get too hot that it would deform.

Has anybody seen this? Is there a way to fix it other than replacement? I'm wondering if a hot air gun might be enough to warm it up and reshape it. I don't think this will work, as I can just picture it getting worse instead of better.

Any other thoughts?
Mine did the same, heat gun worked
PhillipsLT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #5
emmvette

Kevin and Paul - I may not be understanding your responses, but my problem isn't the air duct - its the air intake (snorkel?) that it connects to. The Samco won't help, it will fit over this, but it won't be air tight unless the bottom of the snorkle it fits over is shaped correctly and not "caving in".
Old 06-08-2015   #6
Z06scentair

Replace the bottom housing.....same base as the standard vette.
Z06scentair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #7
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Quote:
Kevin and Paul - I may not be understanding your responses, but my problem isn't the air duct - its the air intake (snorkel?) that it connects to. The Samco won't help, it will fit over thi, but it won't be air tight unless the bottom of the snorkle it fits over is shaped correctly and not "caving in".
Gotcha. I had that happen too, along with a problem with my acordion like snorkle collapsing.

l killed two birds with one stone by fabbing that insert and made so it extended inside that airbox flange - thus the flange is sandwitched between the aluminum (inner) sleeve and the snorkle and finally the steel strap. 6 years and counting...no problems (with a bit o' RTV as insurance against dirt slipping past).

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2015   #8
Kevin

Quote:
Kevin and Paul - I may not be understanding your responses, but my problem isn't the air duct - its the air intake (snorkel?) that it connects to. The Samco won't help, it will fit over this, but it won't be air tight unless the bottom of the snorkle it fits over is shaped correctly and not "caving in".
The problem is that the plastic gm used deforms like an mars bar left out in the warm sun, after a few minutes with the car running there's not rigidity left and it comes off. replace it with something better. The black plastic part you posted is the air duct
Old 06-11-2015   #9
8cam

I had the exact same problem, duct kept popping off and no amount of clamping would keep it on for long. I considered reinforcement, or possibly just using a small sheet metal screw, but in the end I ordered Jerry's brand new duct and a pair of clamps. Works perfectly, still in place exactly where it's supposed to, and I don't have to worry about it collapsing. It is a little long and required trimming above the a/c pulley, but that's all. It's considerably thicker than stock too, clearing the a/c pulley by a frog hair.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015   #10
emmvette

8CAM, what did you use to trim it? Scissors? I bought one from Jerry's as well with the new clamps and fit it last night, it also needed a little trim.

Did you make a "bump out" or a curved cut-out for where the A/C pulley is? I trimmed mine straight last night, but am wondering if I should put a little extra curve and trim more where the pulley is. The scissors left it not looking so neat, I think I need a sharper pair of heavy duty ones.

I did use a heat gun on low setting for my original problem shown at the beginning of this thread and that helped a little, but I didn't want to put much warm air on it, as it will just weaken the plastic.