ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 10-19-2015   #11
RussMcB

Default Re: Road Atlanta Track Day (pic)

The 2016 dates for that particular club are:
March 13 - Atlanta Motorsports Park
May 30 - Road Atlanta
... and then two more events in the Fall.
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015   #12
RussMcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8cam View Post
<snip> ...until he ran out of brakes.
You weren't joking. These Hawk pads were about 10% worn when we started the day. No wonder it wouldn't stop on that last lap.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbszr View Post
If you don't want passed by Miatas, I found 315's all the way around made a huge difference, if not a must. But the VBP springs, sway bars, and Hoosier R seem to help quite a bit. If you do bushings. it would be a good time to put the off set bushings in the front to get more negative camber.

That looks like a great course!
I wasn't passed by any (but there was a turbo Miata probably turning faster lap times than I). But I don't think of track days as competition. They're just for fun. It just surprised me that, even though the top speed was way higher, the lap times were slower than when I raced my SM.

My track tires are decent (NT05's, 315's on 11" wheels all around). Thanks for the good suggestions regarding suspension improvements. I need to give it a good alignment, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZZZZR1 View Post
<snip>Looks like you had a blast!

I'd consider coil overs...

David
Yes, we had a great time. It's pretty cool to watch the prototypes at Petit LeMans on TV (or in Mark's case, in person), then drive the same track a few days later.

Coilovers would be great, no doubt, but much more money and work than I want to do (at least for now). I'm trying hard to stay happy with just the low hanging fruit updates (I know, everybody says that at first. :-)
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
Old 10-20-2015   #13
lbszr

[QUOTE=RussMcB;233838]You weren't joking. These Hawk pads were about 10% worn when we started the day. No wonder it wouldn't stop on that last lap.

Are those rears down to metal? Mine wears the front faster, but with no abs.

Which hawks are you using? I started with hp +. They trashed my rotors from overheat, and wear quick when they go above their temp limit.

Ht 10 hawk pads now, last a twice as long, rotors have a lot of heat cracks, but not to the edge and last a lot longer. I added brake ducts, but I think the ht 10 made the difference. In warmer climates, they are ok on the street, with brake dust.
Old 10-20-2015   #14
RussMcB

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbszr View Post
Are those rears down to metal?
Yep.

Right before the event I received and installed the DRM brake bias spring. I suppose that could have been a factor (but I'm certainly not blaming it. Too many other factors).

I bought HAWK HPS PERFORMANCE STREET BRAKE PADS - HB111F.610 to swap in for track days. Maybe I need to go to a harder compound. Perhaps cooling air ducts will help, too. I will certainly make sure I start an event with almost new pads, and check them during the day in the future.
Old 10-21-2015   #15
8cam

I wonder if the bias spring caused the greater rear pad wear? I need to pull my pads and we'll see the difference, since mine were brand new at the start of the session.
'90 ZR-1 #1322 Daily Driver, 64k and counting
Black/Gray
[IMG]http://i208.photobucket.com/albums/bb49/mlitherland/IMG_0326_zps3d50d8cb.jpg[/IMG]
8cam is offline   Reply With Quote