ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1s and ZR-1 Parts For Sale/Wanted

Old 03-18-2017   #1
jaykran

Default WTB advice please!!

Going to look at a 91 ZR1 next weekend and wanted to get some opinions from members on here.

It's a red on red 91 with 27k on it. It has the painted top only and no service records or any documentation. It is all original and apparently everything works and the car drive and looks new.

The owner has only owned it a year and a half.

Everything seemed good until he sent me the vin number and I did a carfax report on it. The car shows salvage in 91, seller says that the car was stolen from the dealership and insurance paid it out and when it was found after a year unharmed it got salvage.

I looked into it a little further and yes they do brand a car as salvage if stolen and insurance paid out before car was found.

After the car was found, it went through several auctions through its life and multiple owners. It was actually sold through Barrett Jackson in 09 and 11 and both times the description was that the car was like new and original.

My question to you guys is what do you think it's worth? How much does the value take a hit 1) by having salvage on the report 2) it has no documentation 3) it's moved around a lot in the 20 something years of its life.

One last thing the ownership does not brand it as salvage or rebuilt.

Let me know what you guys think, if I like the car and it the inspection comes back good, what do you think a fare value is?
jaykran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017   #2
george1945

Default Re: WTB advice please!!

What ever you are willing to pay. It's going to need some work if you want a daily driver. Look it over well. Top and bottom. Figure a complete and total fluid drain/flush and refill. Injector replacement and complete tune up. Possible radio repairs. That will get you into a 5k bill real fast. Maybe a set of tires as well.
george1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017   #3
Z51JEFF

I wouldn't buy it regardless of how cheap it is. Why didn't anybody say anything about the salvage title and is a dealer allowed to sell a salvage vehicle without divulging it was a salvage vehicle? Some may not have an issues with a car that's been salvaged but I do, whats the price on the car?

Last edited by Z51JEFF; 03-19-2017 at 05:16 AM.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017   #4
ZRXMAX

It is a bit strange when something like this shows up. Your biggest concern should be condition and not so much the salvage title. You already explained what happened and if it can be verified through a close inspection... then... what harm is the salvage title if the car was never in an accident?

Now, if you are an investor, well, that could add a "stigma" to the car that indicates just how finicky people are when it comes to collector cars.

Lets say for a moment it was actually totaled and then repaired professionally and thus deserved a salvage title because the airbag went off.

It begs the question... if you parted it out how much money would it bring?

Some people say they would never buy it no matter what the reason is. Some people have higher levels of resistance... it is what it is... a 27,000 mile ZR-1 with a multiple owner history and a title that some people reject.

If I were you I would have it inspected and if it passed then make an offer you are comfortable with. If they don't accept your offer keep looking. Have you looked on the ZR-1 net website?
91 ZR-1 #661 Watsons, 3" exhaust, Borlas... Hurst, 4.11s, Samco, RD radiator, gel coated motor... turquise / black
ZRXMAX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017   #5
George45

On my search for my first ZR1 I ran across a very nice looking white unit that was shown on several sites. It was slated for auction. The location was within a couple hundred miles. I was not willing to pay the dealer to see the car fax so I kept looking. Then I saw the car listed in California and they provided a free carfax on it. It was fairly low miles, under or around 20k. It was shown to have been side swiped with no air bag deployment. I then contacted the local dealer and they denied the report.to my knowledge the car may still be listed for sale.
But if you can really completely verify the car you are looking at and deal with the stigma you could potentially have a nice clean original driver. Can you verify it was not partially stripped and other than original parts used to replace the stolen items? Just be aware you may have a hard time should the need ever arise to resell it.
I ended up buying a documented all original Zr1 with 12k on it for just a little more than what was being asked for the local car and a dirty carfax.
George45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017   #6
jaykran

Thanks for the replies.

I live in Canada and the exchange rate right now is ridicules. $20k US is $27-$28k Canadian. Also there is only 5 cars for sale in Canada that I can find and all except the one in question have more mileage then I'm looking for.

I'm thinking I can get a well documented 25,000 miles without a checkered past and all service and recommended updates (tern key) for $19-$20k.

Does that seem to be fair market value?
Old 03-19-2017   #7
Hib Halverson

If the existence of a salvage title was not disclosed in the first discussion you had and you discovered that fact in a Carfax search, I'd not buy the car because, up front, the seller concealed the fact that it was a salvage.

A sign of how unsafe buying, selling and auctioning can sometimes be is that it went though Barret/Jackson twice with sellers claiming it was "like new" and "original".

If you're still wiling to risk the purchase...I'd have a someone with a lot of experience inspect the car looking for 1) hidden collision damage and 2) look for the VIN stamped on various parts of the car making sure what's stamped there is the same as the VIN plate at the base of the left A-pillar.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017   #8
jaykran

In fairness to the seller he did tell me that the car was stolen and recovere, no mention of salvage though. There is a language barrier as he speaks little English and I speak no French.

I'm going to check it out next Sunday and if all looks good I will make an offer subject to full inspection.
Old 03-19-2017   #9
mike100

If you are a car keeper and not a car seller it could be a fair car if the price is right. I personally wouldn't likely take it because most people are concerned with clean title history and a niche car with a branded title becomes even more niche.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017   #10
Z51JEFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike100 View Post
If you are a car keeper and not a car seller it could be a fair car if the price is right. I personally wouldn't likely take it because most people are concerned with clean title history and a niche car with a branded title becomes even more niche.
In today's market $20,000 should be able to buy a very nice low mileage car. Keep in mind it's one thing to put money into a car and maybe get some of it out but it's just throwing money in a hole on a salvage car. You have the money,I'm sure somebody in the ZR-1 community can-will help you find the right car and maybe even help store it while you figure out how to get it home. Lee has a very nice 25,000 miles I think 92 he's selling with a few mods. There's somebody not too far from me in San Jose that's got a really nice white 91 with under 25,000 miles that keeps hinting at wanting to move up to a 405 H.P. car.
Z51JEFF is offline   Reply With Quote