Old 07-29-2018   #21
BigJohn

Default Re: Starting issue

Check Battery Cables?
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018   #22
shawn8492

Mine did this and I bypassed the vats system. I went to breakfast and came out and ir woupdnt start. Everything else worked. Has not done it since the vats bypass so I hope that was the problem.

Sent from my SM-G930V using ZR-1 Net Registry mobile app
shawn8492 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018   #23
JMO343

I just took my out to vacuum. It ran for about 10 mins in the the driveway. Go back to try and start it. No luck. Starter solinoid???

John
JMO343 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2018   #24
JMO343

Sorry car.!!
Old 08-05-2018   #25
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer View Post
60 / 80 AMP RELAY SPDT SINGLE POLE DOUBLE THROW

Check this item out in Dynomites 'Solutions' at the top of Tech .forums!! Electical Ground Connections And 'Installing Starter Relay'. From experience this will solve your Issue!!!!!

Installed under ECM and in slot between brake booster and fire wall (perfect place for location of Relay).

Wiring modified a bit to assure Pin #87a is not hot at any time.
Pin #30: Purple wire to starter (use 3/8 inch connector on relay).
Pin #87: Red wire battery positive 12v use 3/8 inch connector on relay
(Same gauge wire as purple wire connected to battery positive multiple connection post).
Pin #86: Battery ground (1/4 inch connector on relay connected to ground where battery 12 gauge wire grounded).
Pin #85: Purple wire from clutch switch in wire bundle under ECM use 1/4 inch connector on relay (Red wire on early 1990 ZR-1).
Pin #87a: Not hot at any time and not used.

Insert a short 1/2 inch long section of plastic hose
over the center connector on the Relay which is NOT
used in this application.

Normally this is the solution. My 91 was done by the previous owner because he was stuck several times. Once the car cooled down it will start again. This solves that problem.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018   #26
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri

Woah! My I say that ALL of the suggestions so far are all valid - far as they go. But, what is lacking is a methodical, logical progression to isolate the problem so that it can be dealt with properly.

Good troubleshooting begins with: KNOWING HOW THE SYSTEM WORKS

If this were my issue (and it has been a couple times over the last 11 years) I'd want to have a roadmap and be able to go step by step. And, maybe the best way to do that is to have a schematic. HOWEVER, it would help to know WHAT YEAR ZR-1 we're dealing with here; a 90-92 or a 93-95 MY?

OVERVIEW:

Before the battery is connected to the starter windings, FIRST there are 3 SWITCHES that must be satisfied (turned ON).

In the case of the 90-92 cars, the starter current first passes through a STARTER ENABLE RELAY (controlled by the CENTRAL CONTROL MODULE [think VATS]), then second through the CLUTCH START SWITCH, and then to the starter solenoid. Within the solenoid housing is a third HEAVY CURRENT switch, activated by the first two switches. This last switch HIGH CURRENT switch connects the battery directly to the starter windings and supplies the HIGH CURRENT power needed to spin the motor.

The "Achilles heal" is the CLUTCH SAFETY SWITCH in the 90-92 cars carries the relatively high current drawn by the starter's solenoid. This high current load results in arching between the contact points within the switch*. The points are eroded by the heat generated by the arching until they begin to fail intermittently at first, but failures increase until the failure becomes total.

NOTE: One can reduce the arching in the CLUTCH SAFETY SWITCH significantly by FIRST pushing the clutch peddle to the floor BEFORE turning the ignition switch to START.

The 93-95 MY cars starter circuits differ slightly in order to eliminate issues stemming from the high current in the 90-92 CLUTCH SAFETY SWITCH.

Instead, the CLUTCH SAFETY SWITCH current is routed to a separate ENABLE relay controlled by the CENTRAL CONTROL [VATS] MODULE). Because the current through this (beefed up) ENABLE relay is very much lower than that in the 90-92 cars, the issue with arching is greatly diminished and thus the "NO START" dilemma is significantly reduced!

Modification for the 90-92 MY Zs

*By installing a auxiliary relay (modification - see "Solutions" sticky) - the current through the CLUTCH SAFETY RELAY can be significantly reduced and start reliability greatly increased.

ALL THAT SAID, none of the (above) means squat to the starter. How the current gets to the starter solenoid switch doesn't change the erosive effect arching will have on those contacts! Sooner or later, the contacts will need to be serviced.

The MEAN TIME BETWEEN FAILUREs for the contacts is measured in the number of switching cycles, NOT mileage. (In my case, the contacts had to be replaced at about 37-40k miles.

Your mileage may vary! But, it is prudent to inspect and R&R whenever taking delivery of an older car, and like changing all the fluids, inspecting/replacing the starter solenoid contacts should be on the list!

The schematic on the left is for the 90-92 MY and the one on the right is for the 93-95 MY ZR-1s.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 90-92 starter circuit trace.jpg (135.0 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg 93-95 starter circuit trace.jpg (150.0 KB, 24 views)

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry

Last edited by Paul Workman; 08-06-2018 at 10:33 AM.
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2018   #27
JMO343

I will check the security light. If I have to change the starter does anyone know of good Corvette shop close to Long Island that can do this work?

John
Old 08-14-2018   #28
zrfast1

Just my .02 but I had the same issues you have and drove me nuts. My starter was rebuilt, so I know it wasn't it. Clutch bypass wasn't bypassed so I did it. No joy. Long story short....cleaned the battery cable connections...never had an issue again!!
zrfast1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018   #29
JMO343

I have not done the starter yet and battery is new. How hard is it to replace the starter?

John
Old 08-14-2018   #30
zrfast1

Starter is located under the coil packs which are under the plenum in the valley of the engine. Take a wire brush to the cable of the connection to the battery first and make sure the cables are very snug, wiggle the cables while tightening..do not over torque! Also do the clutch bypass.....its very easy before you tear into the plenum. Just my .02
zrfast1 is offline   Reply With Quote