ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 09-23-2019   #1
Jax ZR1

Default MEMCAL card

I am still getting code 42 coming up and it disables the secondary’s and it seems to run rich, but they are very intermittent, I just pulled the cover off the ecm to check the memcal card in the process I knocked the other brown and blue piece that connects to it and now I’m wondering if there is a way to tell which is the right direction to put it back on because it can go either way if you turn it end for end. Need help going on a trip with it on Friday. Thanks
Jax ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019   #2
Jax ZR1

Default Re: MEMCAL card

It has a haibeck automotive technology card in it, can’t find anything in the owners manual
Old 09-24-2019   #3
dandt67

Sent Installation Instructions with photos for the Calibration Chip to your email
Hope that helps.

1991 ZR-1 Quasar Blue #1470
2016 Z06/Z07 Long Beach Red Tintcoat
dandt67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019   #4
QB93Z

Call Mark Haibeck. (630-458-8427). He will help you get the chip installed properly.

Where are you in BC? I am not familiar with Vanderhoof. I was just passing through BC (in July) on the way back from Alaska in a ZR-1.

Jim

1990 Black ZR-1 - sold
1993 Quasar Blue ZR-1
1994 Competition Yellow ZR-1
1995 Dark Purple ZR-1

Maryland State Coordinator
WAZOO Member
QB93Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019   #5
Jax ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandt67 View Post
Sent Installation Instructions with photos for the Calibration Chip to your email
Hope that helps.
Thank you it does help, I’m going to try and give Marc a call because in the instruction you sent it say to remove the blue piece but mine still has the blue piece on it.
Old 09-24-2019   #6
Jax ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by QB93Z View Post
Call Mark Haibeck. (630-458-8427). He will help you get the chip installed properly.

Where are you in BC? I am not familiar with Vanderhoof. I was just passing through BC (in July) on the way back from Alaska in a ZR-1.

Jim
Good morning Jim Vanderhoof is the centre of B.C. about 60 miles west of Prince George. You would have gone through there and then North to the Alaska highway so you wouldn’t have come through Vanderhoof. Thanks for the phone number.
Old 09-24-2019   #7
Hib Halverson

If you are getting code 42, it's unlikely that the Haibeck calibration is at fault, however, it could be the calibration chip needs to be reseated and/or have its connections cleaned. 42 is an EST fault. Fixing it will require either repair to ignition wiring or grounds, reseating the chip, replacement of the ignition module or replacement of the ECM. Driving the car with code 42 set may result in some driveability problems.

If you have the Factory Service Manual, review the diagnosis and repair instructions for that code. You will need the FSM, an ohmmeter and a test light to solve the code. Typically, a scan tester is of little help in solving a DTC42.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019   #8
Jax ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
If you are getting code 42, it's unlikely that the Haibeck calibration is at fault, however, it could be the calibration chip needs to be reseated and/or have its connections cleaned. 42 is an EST fault. Fixing it will require either repair to ignition wiring or grounds, reseating the chip, replacement of the ignition module or replacement of the ECM. Driving the car with code 42 set may result in some driveability problems.

If you have the Factory Service Manual, review the diagnosis and repair instructions for that code. You will need the FSM, an ohmmeter and a test light to solve the code. Typically, a scan tester is of little help in solving a DTC42.
Good afternoon Hib, I have tried to find the wiring issue but it is very intermittent like a loose connection just havent been able to find it just trying anything at this point, when you say driving with the code 42 set could cause problems, are you talking damage to the motor. thanks
Old 09-24-2019   #9
Hib Halverson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jax ZR1 View Post
Good afternoon Hib, I have tried to find the wiring issue but it is very intermittent like a loose connection just havent been able to find it just trying anything at this point, when you say driving with the code 42 set could cause problems, are you talking damage to the motor. thanks
No.
When DTC 42 sets, the engine runs on a limited spark advance curve that's built into the ignition module. It is very conservative.

Try cleaning the ignition module connections at the rear of the plenum. After cleaning the connections, tighten the bolt to the value specified in the FSM.
current owner 19 VIN 1878
Hib Halverson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2019   #10
Jax ZR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hib Halverson View Post
No.
When DTC 42 sets, the engine runs on a limited spark advance curve that's built into the ignition module. It is very conservative.

Try cleaning the ignition module connections at the rear of the plenum. After cleaning the connections, tighten the bolt to the value specified in the FSM.
thank you I will try that this afternoon after work.