ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-23-2022   #1
CamP

Default AC blows out floor and defrost vents?

My 1990 ZR-1 with C68 AC is not blowing air out of the dash air vents. It is blowing cold air out of the floor and defrost vents. Anyone else have this issue?
CamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022   #2
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: AC blows out floor and defrost vents?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamP View Post
My 1990 ZR-1 with C68 AC is not blowing air out of the dash air vents. It is blowing cold air out of the floor and defrost vents. Anyone else have this issue?
The problem is your HVAC controller located above the gas pedal and it is a bear to get to. You will need to source a replacement. At least it's not a ZR-1 only part. I remember somebody on the board here who was able to rebuild his but that was a long while ago.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022   #3
DRM500RUBYZR-1

That is the default mode when failed, so that you can see in the cold or wet when defrost or defog is required.

Go to BATEE.com
Bryan's site can help you determine and confirm which part has failed.
As the poster above said, likely the controller, but there are multiple components that could cause this.

Not complex if the programmer or controller.
Check out his site.
He is THE BEST!

www.batee.com

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022   #4
CamP

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRM500RUBYZR-1 View Post
That is the default mode when failed, so that you can see in the cold or wet when defrost or defog is required.

Go to BATEE.com
Bryan's site can help you determine and confirm which part has failed.
As the poster above said, likely the controller, but there are multiple components that could cause this.

Not complex if the programmer or controller.
Check out his site.
He is THE BEST!

www.batee.com

Marty
I spoke to Bryan. He thinks I have a vacuum issue because all my electronic control buttons work. Probably a simple problem that will be difficult to find.
Old 07-25-2022   #5
secondchance

Below Is QB93Z thread on replacing the programmer.
http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27542

Jim as far as I know went in the deepest with HVAC diagnose and repair.
Reach out to Jim (QB93Z) and tap his knowledge.

Good luck!
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022   #6
CamP

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Below Is QB93Z thread on replacing the programmer.
http://www.zr1.net/forum/showthread.php?t=27542

Jim as far as I know went in the deepest with HVAC diagnose and repair.
Reach out to Jim (QB93Z) and tap his knowledge.

Good luck!
Thanks for that link. It appears that a kinked vacuum line under the passenger side hush panel fixed his similar issue.

I hope it's that easy! I replaced the ac programmer back in '97 and that job was no fun!
Old 07-25-2022   #7
secondchance

Think positive, Cam!
I replaced a heater core for one of the Wazoo guys a few years ago and it was 10 hours of fun. Only had 3 7mm hexes and a 2? long plastic tube I couldn?t account for despite careful bagging and tagging.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022   #8
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Insufficient vacuum is often found to be the culprit for the inability to direct air out of the selected vents.
The programmer is often suspect, however there is about a 1 in 3 chance that the supply vacuum is the actual cause. Squashed, kinked, cut, or varmint chewed hose in that order have all been found.
If the supply is good, then the hose connections on the programmer are the next stop.
These components are all now about 30 years old.
Always diagnose first before replacing.
Rarely do we replace the C-4 control head, (unlike the c-5) with most problems of failure to direct traced back to vacuum lines or programmer connections, then the programmer itself.
Take your time and check carefully and you will soon have full control of your HVAC.

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022   #9
davidijaxson

I have a similar issue but is also affects the cruise control.
davidijaxson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2022   #10
CamP

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidijaxson View Post
I have a similar issue but is also affects the cruise control.
I've read that if both the cruise control doesn't work and the dash vents don't blow, the cause is either the vacuum check valve under the plenum is bad or the vacuum line to it is disconnected. Both use a common vacuum line that originates on the right side of the plenum.