ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-08-2022   #1
Raykahn

Default Refurbishing a fuel sending unit

My fuel sending unit didn't read my fuel levels properly, so I converted to the single pump setup. I'd like to refurbish the old sending unit given that they can be difficult to find. The pumps work fine. It looks like a previous owner had it out and painted it with POR15 or some other Fuel Tank Sealer (probably trying to slow corrosion).

I'd love suggestions on the best way to renew it. I am thinking either sandblasting or sanding it to remove the rust and paint. At that point maybe repainting it again with POR15 Fuel Tank Sealer.

The tracings I can probably pull/replace from a regular C4 sending unit. I had tried cleaning them with the WAZOO guys at our last maintenance day but that did not fix them, so they are probably toast.

In the meantime, what is the best way for me to store it so it does not corrode further? Should I sprits a layer of oil on it so its not just sitting dry in my garage?

Appreciate any help,
- Zach
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4683.jpg (168.3 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4682.jpg (299.6 KB, 51 views)
Raykahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2022   #2
Matt B

Default Re: Refurbishing a fuel sending unit

If you have the chance to carefully sandblast it that's the way I'd go. It also removes all rust perfectly.

For a durable coating maybe you can find some place to zinc plate it? Just an idea to avoid further corrosion for good.
ZR-1 #638/1991
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022   #3
Raykahn

Sandblasting may be off the table for the time being, but I wanted to move forward regardless.

I disassembled it as much as I could and started on it with a wire cup brush in some of the more accessible areas. That seems to work very well, and it is fairly satisfying watching the rust fly off. I figure I will grind off as much of the sealer and rust as I can, and finish it off with a bath in something like krud cutter rust remover before resealing it.

However, my big hang up now is the pump housing bracket. The beam that the bracket and spring are mounted on is absolutely covered in rust. I don't see how this will be a viable endeavor unless I can get the pump housing removed so I can deal with the corrosion underneath it.

Is anyone aware of a gentle way to remove the 'T' that holds the pump housing in place? I want to minimize the amount of torqueing needed so I don't damage the rest of the sender.

Last edited by Raykahn; 10-15-2022 at 01:12 AM.
Raykahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2022   #4
aafc

When removing rust from parts I have used Evapo-rust remover its
biodegrade. Check out this product online for complete information.
John
aafc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022   #5
BlueDevlC7z

I?ve used Metal Restore to get rid of some tank rust in my 87 Honda Interceptor. Worked great and tank looked new after a 48 hour soak. I?m sure it would work on the sending unit also
BlueDevlC7z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022   #6
CamP

Vinegar removes rust/scale.
CamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2022   #7
W i l l

I've used vinegar, and it takes patience. If you are using a rust remover, it will be a six pack wait and the job will be finished. With vinegar, you will be barely able to stand up working on the 11th beer, and you may be ready to drink the vinegar instead and soak the sending unit in beer to finish the job. Buurrrrp!!!
W i l l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2022   #8
CamP

Yes, vinegar is an overnight process. That's actually a good thing as it works in a slow, controlled rate that won't wreck the part.
CamP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2022   #9
Matt B

I used to work with citric acid on bolts I took from my mark III.
Works well with less stink.
ZR-1 #638/1991
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote