ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 08-06-2005   #1
Jim Jones

Question Weatherstrip Replacement Question

I am going to replace the weatherstripping this winter and I need some helpful suggestions.

1. Should I buy the GM replacement or is aftermarket ok?
2. Do I need any special tools like the ones offered at Ecklers or Mid-America?

Thanks in advance!

Jim

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/koolaid117/Montage.gif[/IMG]
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2005   #2
Aurora40

I did this on an '87 coupe. I would *highly* recommend GM weatherstripping. I went with various aftermarket pieces and had to do the car twice. Once to replace the old stuff, and once to replace the aftermarket stuff when the windows wouldn't go up and the top wouldn't secure because it was way too thick.

The main things you'll need is some screwdrivers, I think some torx bits, some weatherstrip adhesive, and some adhesive release agent. I used 3M Super Weatherstrip Adhesive, and it was awesome. I also used 3M Release Agent to remove the old stuff and it worked like a charm.

I would also recommend you replace the weatherstrip backings. They are thin metal brackets that hold the weatherstrip. I think they are on three sides of the windshield, and on the top of the roof part. It is a lot easier and cleaner to remove them and bolt on new ones than to try to scrape old adhesive off. Plus, much of teh black paint pulled off with the weatherstrippng for me. The backing pieces are cheap and it's just a lot easier.

If you have specific q's let me know. It was about 4-5 years ago that I did this so I have to reach back a bit.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005   #3
Jim Jones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurora40
If you have specific q's let me know. It was about 4-5 years ago that I did this so I have to reach back a bit.
It's going to be my project this fall/winter. Don't worry if I have any more questions I won't hesitate to ask.

Thanks!

Jim

[IMG]http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y128/koolaid117/Montage.gif[/IMG]
Jim Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005   #4
Aurora40

Oh, my only real mess-up was when replacing the window-seal strip. The piece on the exterior top of the door that presses against the glass to keep water from running into the door. These were cracked badly on my '87, and you have to drill out the pop-rivets to remove them. On the first one I couldn't figure out why the rivet wasn't coming out as I drilled it, and stupidly I had no tape or marking on the bit to tell how deep it was, and I drilled right through the door. Thankfully it was under the side-view mirror so it wasn't super obvious, but man did I feel dumb! Other than that, they came out fine and pop-riveted back fine.

I paid very close attention to the weatherstripping condition on Corvettes I've looked at since. I'm pretty sure the stripping on my '90 should continue on fine with proper conditioning and care.
Former owner of #2517

Old 08-07-2005   #5
We Gone

Done a few C4s its not to bad. If you have a parts CD look over the WS blowups it will help to show how everything goes, and yes I would stick with GM WS.

1990 Steel Blue/Black #2355
1990 Red/Red #1473
1991 Quasar /Black #118 Sold
1991 Turquoise/Black #766 Parted Out
1993 Yellow/White #179 Sold
1990 Black/Gray #1361 Headers/4:10s Sold
We Gone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2005   #6
bigd

Did my windshield and rear hatch last year and used GM parts. The fit was right on. No special tools used. For the windshield I used 3M adhesive (black). When you do the rear hatch you might want to protect your rear carpet. The (GM) weatherstrip has groove that is filled with some type of sealant and can get messy. There are a couple of Chevy dealers on this site that will give you a discount on parts.
1990 Dark Red Metallic #1587
bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008   #7
xxxscimitarxxx

Default Re: Weatherstrip Replacement Question

who would you guys reccomend as best/best priced supplier of GM weather strip parts....couple of names/web site links would be helpful

Ive seen a ton on Ebay but from what youre saying ....dont go there!!

Im planning on doing both my cars in UK.....90 and 92 (any differences ?)

going for main Door seals, targa sides, 'A' post seal and 'B' post seal

all others OK

any reccomendations appreciated

Dave

xxxscimitarxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008   #8
karterdon

I have replaced all of the weather stripping on my 91. I used only factory GM rubber. That's the only way to go in my book. GM stuff is not cheap - but is fits the way it is supposed to. No special tools are required. One suggestion - You do not need to use large amount of 3m black adhesive. The way the seals are made to fity into channels - you only need a small bead don the center of the channels ( ie - front & rear windshield and roll bar)

you will love the fit -

P.S. - Take your time - don't rush it.

Don Yoakem
91 #267 Dark Red Met.
karterdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008   #9
phrogs

I used GM expensive but I just dont trust the aftermarket weatherstripping, I bought all of my WS from tom henery chevrolet.

I think the hardest one is the windshield due to glueing it and getting it into the small groves, I used some small tools but non of the tool sets that are sold in the big vendors, I had a scribe and some scrapers that I used to push the edges into the lips on the retainers.

The retainers are screwed into the body and there is alot of glue and crap in there so if you want to reuse your weatherstripping retainers get ready for some work removing the old glue. changing the WS is easy the retainers are the bitch.

Currently own

90 ZR-1 #845 DRM 500 engine package

90 #226 Parts car Hit me up if you need anything.
phrogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008   #10
Aurora40

When I did mine, the w/s retainers were quite cheap compared to the cost of the rubber. It was much easier to just unscrew them and put new ones on than to try to clean up the old ones. I don't know if that's still the case that they are cheap...
Former owner of #2517