ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 12-21-2009   #21
TFENT

Default Re: Weird... car dies and won't even crank. Then starts like nothing happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
Ha.....a starter issue in a ZR1 is not good as you know the work involved in replacing a starter. Having said that.....low voltage might effect a starter solenoid more when it is hot than when it cools off a bit as you were running the engine for some time before this happened

Well the intake has to come off to do the Alternator too, so kill 2 birds with one stone heh?
TFENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009   #22
-=Jeff=-

Default Re: Weird... car dies and won't even crank. Then starts like nothing happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFENT View Post
Well the intake has to come off to do the Alternator too, so kill 2 birds with one stone heh?
Actually I think the Alt can be done without pulling the plenum

I need to replace my Alt as well.. but I plan on trying to r&r without pulling the plenum
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009   #23
Dynomite

If it started back up like nothing happened meaning it turned over like a full battery with full voltage.......that would suggest battery and alternator are in good shape....it would also suggest starter is in good shape as it is usually solenoids that go on starters.......which can be intermittent problems.

And from this it was a zero ground or a dead short somewhere that killed the engine as others have suggested. Then it prolly did not start again untill the location where it was shorted cooled down..... I am not sure how a poor ground would reactivate itself. If it were just battery cables, seems to me it would run on the alternator. If it did not restart...seems to me it could be battery cables......and on and on.....

As I recall......there might be a delay of 10 minutes on starting after several failed attempts as an anti theft measure...but am not sure.

You and all others reading this can tell I am guessing

This guy (WB9MCW) knows what he is talking about
http://www.zr1netregistry.com/forum/...theft+starting

meaning Dynomite

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-21-2009 at 06:47 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2009   #24
TFENT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
If it started back up like nothing happened meaning it turned over like a full battery with full voltage.......that would suggest battery and alternator are in good shape....it would also suggest starter is in good shape as it is usually solenoids that go on starters.......which can be intermittent problems.

And from this it was a zero ground or a dead short somewhere that killed the engine as others have suggested. Then it prolly did not start again untill the location where it was shorted cooled down..... I am not sure how a poor ground would reactivate itself. If it were just battery cables, seems to me it would run on the alternator. If it did not restart...seems to me it could be battery cables......and on and on.....

As I recall......there might be a delay of 10 minutes on starting after several failed attempts as an anti theft measure...but am not sure.

You and all others reading this can tell I am guessing

This guy (WB9MCW) knows what he is talking about
http://www.zr1netregistry.com/forum/...theft+starting

meaning Dynomite
I am really curious about this 10 min delay security thing.
TFENT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009   #25
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Jeff=- View Post
Actually I think the Alt can be done without pulling the plenum
100% correct, need to pull the Air cleaner and Air Horn from the TB although. But the Plenium does not need to be pulled
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009   #26
GOLDCYLON

Quote:

Not sure if thats it because the Security light flashing would be all the time. VATS can be bypassed although if you know which key code you have.
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009   #27
tomtom72

Quote:
I think with the VATS system, if a start attempt is made and the CCM does not see the proper pre-programed resistance ( our key pellet ) the system shuts off the fuel pumps for a time period ( not sure how long ). I also understand that any further attempts at starting without the proper pellet will just extend the "no fuel" time period. I think this spoils any attempts to "hot wire" the car? I'm not exactly sure about the last statement, but it seems logical to me?

Anyway, once the VATS is engaged, the only way to defeat it is to have the right key+pellet; or wait the 10 mins to try to start the car using what method I have no idea, maybe by-passing the VATS entirely? I guess I'd better keep my day job as I would starve as a car thief!

FWIW The dash being scrambled + the lights flashing sure sounds like an electrical supply issue ( or a ground issue ) to me. My dash did that when my battery was stone discharged ( I cooked it up & all was fine again )...total jibberish on the LCD + security light flashed. I assume that the power block just aft of the battery has good connections? I suppose if the clutch switch over heats would it mimic a bad connection like a short ( lights flashing & LCD scrambled? ), but that would only apply to starting the car. I think once running, the clutch sw is out of the circuit? We have fuseable links, but can they become intermittent under load? The thing that bothers me is the described volt gauge behavior, it sure sounds like the regulator is maybe going down...not failed totally, but going. That maybe a separate issue though. You can measure the output at the alt terminal with a VOM as you use different systems.

Sorry, I'm not much help. I hate electrical issues!

Tom
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009   #28
ShawnZR-1

You've got a bad ground. Check the cable from the battery to the frame/block.

1991 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1
ShawnZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2009   #29
Ccmano

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnZR-1 View Post
You've got a bad ground. Check the cable from the battery to the frame/block.
And that doesn't mean just check if it's loose. Remove the cable and check for corrosion under the contact area on both ends, including the battery.
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009   #30
SharkPilot

Years ago I had a strange problem with my '69. At idle the engine would stumble a little just as the headlights and dash lights flickered. This only happened at night and at idle speed and was very intermittant. What I eventually found was some corrosion under a TIGHT ground connection at the battery. This was a side terminal battery behind the seat as all Sharks are.
Once I cleaned the contacts and reattached the cable all was well.
What I deduced from the experience was, the alternator handled all of the electrical loads just fine at higher RPM but once the engine got back to idle speed the alternator couldn't keep up with the demand if the negative cable lost its connection. Once that happened the engine would stumble and lights would flicker. The car never had a start up problem. The engine would crank and start just fine every time.
That car had no electronics or fuel injection at the time so it was much simpler. I would speculate that any interruption in the voltage with our electronicly controlled cars would cause a bit more havoc. Your lights flickering and the dash going crazy are good clues. Perhaps the voltage problem affected the VATS like others have suggested and disabled the car for 10 minutes.
Since your problem happened at or near idle, with the alternator turning its slowest, I would go after a battery connection.
Your low voltage at idle with the turn signals on also suggests a battery connection.

I hope all of this helps a bit and I'll be watching this thread to see what you find.
All the best, SharkPilot
1991 ZR-1 #1135 Red/Red with both tops.
Stock except for an open topped K&N filter.[/CENTER]
SharkPilot is offline   Reply With Quote