ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 01-03-2010   #1
GOLDCYLON

Default CMHSL LED install on my ZR-1

Well I installed the LEDs for the Center Mounted High Safety Lamp or (CMHSL) on my ride this is a 15 Mins install tops. These are avaialable from CorvetteHID.com Tools you will need.

1. Soft towel
2. Flat Blade Screw Driver
3. Philp Blade Screw Driver
4. Torx Head screw driver.

First. locate the Two Torx Head screws on the underside top portion of your rear hatch glass. Remove these two torx head screws. A screw driver with a Torx head attachment driver fitting is all you will need you do not need a rachet wrench.

Second. Place the soft towel on the rear portion of your targa roof so you can now flip the CMHSL housing over upside down onto the towel. (Dont want to scratch or top now do we?)This can be done easily eventhough the wires are attached. The flat black plastic base may stick a bit to the housing but it will come off to allow you to do this.

Third. Using your Phillp screw driver remove the two screws that secure the Red Lens to the CMHSL housing. You will now need to remove the Lens from the housing to expose the 4 Bayonet bulbs in the reflector housing. Mine took a little while to come loose due to a sticky black weatherstripping gasket that mates with the housing and the lens. Pry up the rear and sides of the lens and it will break free. Do not pry up the front of the lens as if it was to crack here you wont be happy. Take your time it will all come up from the hosuing. Do this part slowly. DOnt be lazy pry one side then walk around the car to get the other side.

Fourth. Pull the old bulbs straight out of the silver reflective housings and install the new LEDs. The LEDs once installed need to be bent over to one side (see picture below from the install instuctions provide by the vendor). This is so as much as the visable LEDs surface is exposed as possible. I was surprised to find out these were red LEDs Vs White.

Fifth. Test your install. With the CMHSL housing still upsidedown on the roof open your door and put your foot down to check your work. If its good to go just reverse the install procedure and your on your way. GC

Look for the two TORX screws here. Between the Hatch glass retention bolts

Old bulb on the left VS. New LEDs on the right. Each circle represent one LED or six red LEDS per replacement bulb

See how the new LEDS have to be bent to the left or right? The goal is to get the six circles facing to the rear.

GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 01-03-2010 at 09:38 PM.
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010   #2
GOLDCYLON

Default Re: CMHSL LED install on my ZR-1

Lights on no brake lights

Lights on with brake lights

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 01-03-2010   #3
xlr8nflorida

Damn, looks like my 700 lumens tactical light.
xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010   #4
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida View Post
Damn, looks like my 700 lumens tactical light.
Im happy. After being rear ended about 5 times here in Phoenix in other vehicles at least they cant tell me they didnt see the brake lights. They are brighter than stock, now the CMHSL is as well

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
Old 01-03-2010   #5
ShawnZR-1

The CHMSL looks nice but the tail lights... well, the pattern of LED's just doesn't compliment the outline of the lights. I'd rather see some smaller LED's that frame the squared off roundness of the lights better.

I've been soooo close to replacing mine but the offerings just don't match what I'm looking for. Yeah, I'm picky!

1991 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1
ShawnZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010   #6
xlr8nflorida

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShawnZR-1 View Post
The CHMSL looks nice but the tail lights... well, the pattern of LED's just doesn't compliment the outline of the lights. I'd rather see some smaller LED's that frame the squared off roundness of the lights better.

I've been soooo close to replacing mine but the offerings just don't match what I'm looking for. Yeah, I'm picky!
No, I agree with you and have always noticed that.

I've also thought of the red/amber lights but not sure that would look good on a yellow car.
xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010   #7
ShawnZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida View Post
No, I agree with you and have always noticed that.

I've also thought of the red/amber lights but not sure that would look good on a yellow car.
I can tell you the euro lights look GREAT on a white Z, but yellow... hmmm, definitely have to see that, can't say for sure.

1991 Chevrolet Corvette ZR-1
ShawnZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010   #8
GOLDCYLON

Quote:

Dont forget my tailights are blocked partly by chrome billet louvers. With more than 48 individual LEDs per lens you will be hard pressed to find another taillight solution. To fill it out the way your are suggesting would take about 60-75 LEDs per lens. Nobody will produce those due to the price point. Some of my pattern is eliminated however due to the billet frames.

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

11 RED/GREY CTS-V

Last edited by GOLDCYLON; 01-03-2010 at 11:16 PM.
Old 01-04-2010   #9
HAWAIIZR-1

Thanks for taking the time to document and share this great mod. I'll add this to my list of projects.
Old 01-04-2010   #10
-=Jeff=-

Quote:

Yeah I would like the same.. I really like the C5 Halo ligts.,.. if they could only make those for a C4..
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #1051
Watson Headers (2" Primary) - Borla Catback
Late Model IH - Plenum
Coilovers - 4.10s
Custom Interior
NCM Lifetime Member #978
-=Jeff=- is offline   Reply With Quote