Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-26-2010   #11
Dynomite

Default Re: Oil Extractor Opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlr8nflorida View Post
An oil change basically breaks down like this:

12 quarts = 9 clean 3 dirty or 75% clean oil 25% dirty oil
If you added 3, 6, 9 quarts it would decrease the amount of dirty oil.
It really does not make sense to just add 3 or 6 etc as the math works out the same. If you add 9 and drop it, you are then down to 3/4 quart of dirty oil. If you refilled it again you would be alittle over 1/3 of a quart of dirty oil. Overkill for most but I don't like running around with 25% dirty oil even if its not really that dirty. It's like taking a shower and not changing your underwear.
I concur If you add 9 quarts of clean oil and drain 9 quarts of mixed oil, you end up with 3/4 quart of the original dirty oil remaining.

But....doing it your way by adding 3 quarts of clean oil and draining the mixed dirty oil leaves 1.5 quarts of the original dirty oil the first time and leaves 3/4 quarts of the original dirty oil the second time.

You got the same result with just 6 quarts of clean oil vice using 9 quarts of clean oil all at once

Your method saved 3 quarts of clean oil
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2010   #12
xlr8nflorida

Your method saved 3 quarts of clean oil [/QUOTE]

I'm not sure its legit to run engine on 6 quarts though but I don't see why it wouldn't be. It would only save you $10-15 if using a gallon jug of Mobil and nobody knows if its legit. Haibeck would be able to tell ya. The oil pickup can't be too high, as to be fairly low on the pan.

Regardless better probably just to do 9 quart oil change. Run around for a month or months and then do another 9 quart oil change.

I put so low mileage on my oil even with the 3 dirty, they really are not dirty.
I worry more about moisture in the garage etc which is why I change my oil out at least every year.

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 01-26-2010 at 07:24 PM.
xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010   #13
tomtom72

A thought just occurred to me about this dirty oil left in the cooler thing. I know I made a tongue in cheek comment about driving the car and circulating all the oil thru the cooler....but that isn't so far fetched. That said, for those of us that don't get the chances to use our cars at least 5k a yr with fairly long weekend sessions, say at least an hour running time on an out bound leg, the question of oil remaining in the cooler is legit.

But, we all use some brand of synthetic oil, no? I distinctly remember back in the early seventies that Mobil said one of the specific benefits of a synthetic oil was it's ability to prevent moisture causing sludge formation. Do I recall their assertions correctly? If yes, then I can't see how we are forming sludge by the percentage of moisture trapped in the cooler. I mean we are assuming that the oil in the cooler has a large amount of water bound up with the oil in that spot? I just don't see that the oil in the cooler has that much moisture trapped in it? Even if there is a good deal of moisture because the car sits more than it's used; how much moisture could the oil have between changes? If it was dino oil I could get concerned because that old stuff needed an additive package to combat the effects of moisture, and even at that to complete the reaction to sludge you needed just the right amount of heat. Too much heat and even with dino oil you will burn off the water, and not form much sludge.

Okay, maybe I'm out in left field with these thoughts? Maybe I'm putting too much faith in what the ad copy says for these synthetic oils? I just think that between the advantages of synthetic oil and the fact that none of us would even contemplate a change interval longer than a yr of sitting, let alone about 5k miles of driving, that we have a real worry here, no? JMHO
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010   #14
xlr8nflorida

I am in agreement Tom. For most of us, the old 3 quarts of oil are not even old- at most they are probably at 50% of their life expectancy if that.

Almost all of us maintain our cars at a minimum. I run mine for 60 minutes and then take it for a quick spin to exercise secondaries, and coat the 2nd set of injectors since I'm running 90's injectors. There is no ethanol in my fuel, just a small amount of additives.

To me sludge is abuse and neglect. I don't see sludge build up anymore with synthetics - maybe I'm wrong? When I got rid of my first Vette it had 130,000 miles and it ran a dead heat with my new Vette that had 30,000 miles. It was also clean as a whistle using Mobil 1.

You know its funny. After we talked, I got with my mechanic. He made the statement that synthetics don't hold up. He happened to have another mechanic from another shop who said the same exact thing.

I was like do you mean in gear oil, tranny, motor oil? The mechanic said in EVERYTHING.

Makes no sense to me, synthetics are here to stay and are the best.

I'm going to be doing my own work even though I didn't want to get involved with it this month. I just have to figure out the ramps. I've read some bad things on Rhino Ramps breaking and they also slide a ton. I hear the race ramps are very good but they are very expensive. Of course I'm also debating that Extractor. The only problem is my LT1 and LS1 have oil filters on bottom of pan so it looks like I'll be crawling under there anyway.

Last edited by xlr8nflorida; 01-27-2010 at 02:12 PM.
xlr8nflorida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010   #15
Jason 91

I purchased this one awhile back and just used it this past weekend.

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/mit7300.html

It works well in my opinion with the only down side being that it is difficult to clean. It's a very handy tool to have, with that said.

I think I might get a second one for coolant as was suggested in another thread.

Thanks,

Jason