ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 07-08-2011   #1
rhipsher

Default Discussing power upgrades options.

I just got done talking to Corey H. about my options. I've decided to sell the 68 Mustang and use that $$$ to put into the Z. I get far more enjoyment out of the Z than I ever did from the mustang. It just doesnt make any sense to keep it sitting in the garage half restored year after year. I'll sell it to somebody who really wants it and thats willing to finish what I started.
I told Corey my hope is to have the Z lay down 420-430rwhp which to me is very respectable. That puts it in C6 Z06 territory. He knows It's top end ported already and we definetly saw the HP gain on the same dyno it was base dynoed on 4 years earlier before I top end ported it. He said first things first. Get rid of the stock manifolds and cats. And fab up headers. High flow bullett cats. X pipe and to replace that Borla exhaust with a B&B or Corsa. Then the next step is head work. He suggested maybe even build me a motor. He said he's gonna work me up some estimates. I know Corey would build me one hell of a motor. Of that I have no doubt. Alot decides on what I can get for the stang. And I've looked on ebay at what 1968 mustangs in verious conditions are bringing money wise. I see some that I wouldn't even give a second glance to sitting in a field with no engine or transmission 20 bids at $1250. And ones with non numbers matching engine and transmission with primer on them and rust holes in the floor pans and the bidding is up to $5,000. Hell! Mines a California numbers matching car with zero rust a completely rebuilt engine and transmission with zero miles on it ect. Its not street ready yet because the brake lines are not installed yet and it still needs body prep and paint. So I'm curious to see what it will bring.
I really am ready to get the ball rolling on this Z.

Last edited by rhipsher; 07-08-2011 at 05:32 PM.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011   #2
Paul Workman

Location: Squires (near Ava MO in the Mark Twain N'tl Forest) - Missouri
Default Re: Discussing power upgrades options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhipsher View Post
I just got done talking to Corey H. about my options. I've decided to sell the 68 Mustang and use that $$$ to put into the Z. I get far more enjoyment out of the Z than I ever did from the mustang. It just doesnt make any sense to keep it sitting in the garage half restored year after year. I'll sell it to somebody who really wants it and thats willing to finish what I started.
I told Corey my hope is to have the Z lay down 420-430rwhp which to me is very respectable. That puts it in C6 Z06 territory. He knows It's top end ported already and we definetly saw the HP gain on the same dyno it was base dynoed on 4 years earlier before I top end ported it. He said first things first. Get rid of the stock manifolds and cats. And fab up headers. High flow bullett cats. X pipe and to replace that Borla exhaust with a B&B or Corsa. Then the next step is head work. He suggested maybe even build me a motor. He said he's gonna work me up some estimates. I know Corey would build me one hell of a motor. Of that I have no doubt. Alot decides on what I can get for the stang. And I've looked on ebay at what 1968 mustangs in verious conditions are bringing money wise. I see some that I wouldn't even give a second glance to sitting in a field with no engine or transmission 20 bids at $1250. And ones with non numbers matching engine and transmission with primer on them and rust holes in the floor pans and the bidding is up to $5,000. Hell! Mines a California numbers matching car with zero rust a completely rebuilt engine and transmission with zero miles on it ect. Its not street ready yet because the brake lines are not installed yet and it still needs body prep and paint. So I'm curious to see what it will bring.
I really am ready to get the ball rolling on this Z.
With Petez camz, and an electric water pump (some tests show 12-15 hp gain at the rear wheels by neutering the belt-driven LT5 pump) not doubt Cory could wring out 450-460 RWHP...while you're at it! Then there's that (~1/4" wide flat anti-reversion) cut along the ridge of the web between the twin exhaust ports...which some (Cory or was it Greg V?) has measured around an 8 FWHP lift as result of: the cheapest 6 RWHP going! Yeah...Depending on the porting nuances and cam timing I can see how you might gain another 80 hp at the rear wheels over what you have now. Sounds like a good "winter project" to me!

Then you can join me in savin' up for some new Nittos, cuz the 'D3s ain't gonna stick fer chit...Trust me!. (I considering the 555R/555DRs front/rear (respectively)).

P.

90 #1202
"FBI" top end ported & relieved
Cam timing by "Pete the Greek"
Sans secondaries
Chip & dyno tuning by Haibeck Automotive
SW headers, X-pipe, MF muffs

Former Secretary, ZR-1 Net Registry
Paul Workman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011   #3
rhipsher

I almost pulled the trigger on an atomic orange 08 Z06 with only 900 miles on it. And I really though long and hard about it for 3 days. But the conclusion i finally came to was that all my cars are paid off and it doesn't make sense to get stuck with a 5 year note when for far less money and no car note I can match or surpase the hp of the new Z06.
Im getting to a point in life where Im financially able to do more. My wife has busted her butt getting her RN nursing degree and BA to become a phasycians assistant. She's gone without for so long. All her friends at work drive BMW's & Mercedes Benz. Shes alway loved the Porsche careras and I really want suprise her with one. She really deserves this. This way the ZR-1 gets a steroid shot in the arm I gain only one car note for my soulmate/ best friend and the mother of my children. I think that's the best way to go really.

Last edited by rhipsher; 07-09-2011 at 09:05 AM.
Old 07-09-2011   #4
sammy

rick what you are going to do for your bride is in a word awsome .she has a heart as big as the state you live in . i only wish i could be there when she sees it . do like i did when i bought the white zr1 for deb .get someone to take her somewhere .then get a big giant red ribbon and put it on the car and the car on the lawn. please get someone to video the whole thing . this is a memory that will last for generations. finally i am glad you didnt by the zo6. i would hate to have to come down there and smack some sense into you.lol. you will allways be a zr1guy its in your blood .have a great week on modding your car headers and exhaust first then 410-430 gears then have corey port the heads and tune the deal .drive her that way till you get 150 k and do a 402 motor and then she is done
sammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011   #5
FU

The ZO6 , as great a car that it is was the first car out the door.
-------------------------------------------------
Now as per Mr. Paul , with the top end done well and a good set of cam's is with out a doubt your best bet. I will state that sentence over and over again. And to any one.
There is NO NEED to get into the block if there are no problems with it. Now if you really want to get into the block there are many off set crank grind's to go with , without getting into the costly stroker crank's. But please re-read my sentence in the above paragraph. By taking that advise it will put a permagrin on your wallet and face at the same time.
Also .... H/P is just about the best around. Just all around great people.

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011   #6
rhipsher

5 years ago she told me to buy the ZR-1. She felt that I deserved it for putting up with all the hardships we went through while she was in school. I told her on the contrary that its going to make our lives better. I learned to get really creative with top ramen. 10 for a dollar. Lol!
And one day I was cleaning out some boxes in the computer room and saw her degrees in one of them. I thought man those don't need to be stuffed in some box! Those need to be displayed on the wall. So I hit them with a little windex and hung them on the wall. I call it Vickies ego wall. Hahaha! Im extremely proud of her. Not much longer the B.A will be up there.
Old 07-09-2011   #7
FU

It took me over an hour to put up my other post......breakfast. Alot has been posted since then.

She is one very impressive woman you have there Rick

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011   #8
rhipsher

Quote:
Originally Posted by FU2 View Post
It took me over an hour to put up my other post......breakfast. Alot has been posted since then.

She is one very impressive woman you have there Rick
She sure is Frank. Back when we first met.

Since then we've grown a little older together.

If it weren't for her pushing me to get the ZR-1 I would have never bought it. Im glad she pushed me.
Old 07-09-2011   #9
rhipsher

Sorry to go a little off topic daryle. But at any rate im just waiting for Coreys estimates. And I know I probably won't get the car back for 6 months. But Corey is one of the best and I know it wil be well worth the wait.
Old 07-09-2011   #10
XfireZ51

Rick,

Nothing like having a great lady along for the ride. I know. I have one. My wife was the one that told me to get another ZR-1 after my mishap last year. She didn't want to see me not playing in the garage. At least there, she knows where to find me by usually just looking on the floor.

Anyway, as to the mods for the LT-5. I can tell you that the TopEnd/Head port/Cam upgrade is a great mod. I agree w Frank. You can be at 500+ w a stock block 350 and an idle that won't give much away. It is a blast to drive. What the car should have had when it first came out. Ask Dave Johnson. Corey is definitely one of the people I would trust to do it. =D>
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote