ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 04-20-2006   #1
Type R 328

Default clutch pedal effort

Hi All: I am new to this site and I have to say I have learned so much about these unique cars in a matter of hours.

I am thinking of purchasing a 90/91 ZR-1 and have done a lot of looking on the internet, but not actually seen any in person (there is one for sale local to me that has peaked my interest).

I did a quick search but I could not locate discussions about how heavy the clutch pedal effort is on these cars. I have been driving manuals for years (Hondas and Acuras) but the pedal effort for those cars is rather minimal (thus I am used to light pedal effort). If I end up buying one, the ZR-1 would be a second car, driven minimally on weekends, not as a commuter car.

Any thoughts on how much effort is required to depress the clutch pedal?

Thank you!

Joe
Type R 328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2006   #2
RICHARD TILL

Default Re: clutch pedal effort

its no problem for any able bodied person. why would that be a question?
RICHARD TILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #3
tomtom72

Hi Joe, the pedal effort felt very similar to a Prelude I used to drive, not at all like the effort on my 72 LT-1! I was amazed that a clutch requiring an 80lb effort could be so light...but that's what hydraulics do for you as opposed to a straight mechanical clutch system.

1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #4
Type R 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomtom72
Hi Joe, the pedal effort felt very similar to a Prelude I used to drive, not at all like the effort on my 72 LT-1! I was amazed that a clutch requiring an 80lb effort could be so light...but that's what hydraulics do for you as opposed to a straight mechanical clutch system.

Thanks for the reassuring reply! The car I was interested in was sold before I could check it out, so the search continues...

Joe
Type R 328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006   #5
tomtom72

As a newbe I thought "this clutch can't be working right!" There was so little effort and the "push" required was the same as my 72 LT-1, 80 lbs. and yet I can sit at a light with the clutch in and my leg doesn't even feel it! These modern cars are great!
1990 ZR-1, Black/grey, #2233, stock. ZR-1 Net Reg Founding Member #316 & NCM member
tomtom72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2022   #6
tokuzumi

I know this is a 16 year old thread, but figured I'd dredge it up from the bottom of the lake.

My 94, with 58k miles has a pretty stiff clutch pedal. Also I have to give it more gas than I think I would need to in order to not bog from a stop.

I have no idea if the clutch and flywheel are stock. I would definitely say I need significant more force to push the pedal to the floor compared to a Honda. I need to verify the slave reservoir has fluid in it. Only had the car for a few weeks, so slowly going over everything.

I'm thinking the flywheel has significantly more mass than the one in my 280ZX, which would make sense.

It's fun switching from my ZR-1 to my 280ZX, as the pedal practically falls to the floor with my foot resting on it, and I barely need to give it gas when leaving from a stop.
tokuzumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022   #7
Matt B

Mine needs a good amount of force, too. Drove 2 others that were similar to mine, one even a bit sturdier.
They're way more "stiff" than other, more modern stickshift cars I have.
To me this adds a bit to the feeling that your ZR is a beast to be tamed [emoji3]
ZR-1 #638/1991
Matt B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022   #8
ram_g

Compared to 2 other stick shift cars that I drive regularly - my 2003 911 Turbo and my son?s 2016 GTI - the 1991 ZR-1 has by far the stiffest clutch. All part of the character of the car.
ram_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022   #9
WARP TEN

I have owned many, many stick shift cars over the years and never found the ZR-1 stock clutches to be overly heavy in effort. However, as was my long time habit with all stick shift cars, I always popped the cars into neutral when in heavy bumper to bumper traffic and when coming to a stop. Saved wear and tear on the throwout bearing and other parts, plus I did not have to keep my left foot pressed down for long periods. So it saved wear and tear on me as well. --Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2022   #10
tokuzumi

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARP TEN View Post
I have owned many, many stick shift cars over the years and never found the ZR-1 stock clutches to be overly heavy in effort. However, as was my long time habit with all stick shift cars, I always popped the cars into neutral when in heavy bumper to bumper traffic and when coming to a stop. Saved wear and tear on the throwout bearing and other parts, plus I did not have to keep my left foot pressed down for long periods. So it saved wear and tear on me as well. --Bob
But then you can say you didn't skip leg day after driving the ZR-1 around all day

tokuzumi is offline   Reply With Quote