ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 03-09-2013   #1
vilant

Default Automotive Principles

As of June 2012 I had absolutly no automotive experience or background. Since then I've been getting my hands dirty and loving it. Thing is, although I'm great at tearing things apart and putting them back together, I had no real understanding of how the things work that I was fixing. So, I purchased a 1700pg automotive training manual to educate myself. Thought I would take the things out of it (in my own words) that relate to the LT-5 engine and put them to paper (keyboard really). The reason is two-fold; 1- it helps me to remember what I'm learning 2-thought I share what I've learned to help others like myself. I have used the manual as a reference. The manual is a 1985 U.S. Army automotive training manual (apparently the person(s) selling this have permission to reproduce it). Dated, but it has everything relative to our engines, except maybe the later produced ECM (still has the basics of computer control though). Was thinking of making it a Sticky (Cliff, would need your help with that) and adding sections as I read and write more.
So, the question is this a good idea (will people find it useful) or a bad one (everyone already knows this and no one really cares to read it)? Here's a sample of what I wrote (saved it to one of my albums, I'll add more content and pictures later, if people like it).
http://www.zr1.net/forum/album.php?albumid=239
Let me know what you think and if anything needs to be corrected.
1990 Bright Red ZR-1 #2599
vilant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013   #2
Dynomite

Default Re: Automotive Principles

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilant View Post
The reason is two-fold; 1- it helps me to remember what I'm learning 2-thought I share what I've learned to help others like myself. Was thinking of making it a Sticky and adding sections as I read and write more.
The first reason is exaclty why I post (How Tos) and why I started Solutions/-Solutions-. The second reason is why those in charge made those threads Stickys

I think the Guys In Charge have to make it a sticky for you if they concur. You start by just creating a thread and be sure to reserve about twice as many posts as you think you will need in the thread. Keep in mind without smilies you can only insert 6 photos for each post on this forum. Just Create your thread and then quickly create additonal posts called Reserved 1, Reserved 2 ....etc....and in each post place a date at bottom so we know how current the information is as you continue to edit each post. I create such threads late at night when no one is looking so I can create a series of Reserved posts without someone inserting a post in between

When you are done (or think you are done) you can delete the extra reserved posts.

Then as that thread gets views and becomes popular, those in charge will make it a sticky for you

Those in Charge may even want to incorporate your thread or parts of your thread on the zr1netregistry at some point in time if the interest is there.

Cliff

Last edited by Dynomite; 03-13-2013 at 07:35 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013   #3
Brad Sewell

Cliff, or anyone else, if you use an iphone or ipad for photos you should try an app called skitch for editing them with arrows, circles, text, etc...

And Joe -- I too am cutting my teeth on this car. I don't have a ton of mechanical aptitude but I don't really trust anyone else to work on it either so I am figuring it out as I go. I for one would love to see your notes and progress.

Cheers.

Brad

Last edited by Brad Sewell; 03-09-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Brad Sewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013   #4
Fully Vetted

Quote:
Originally Posted by vilant View Post

...Let me know what you think and if anything needs to be corrected.
While I didn't read anything I didn't already know (in this example, that is) that didn't make it any less enjoyable to read. There is definitely a need for a sticky like this in my opinion. It would be a quick place to reference things you may have forgotten.

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013   #5
mike100

My interest in internal combustion engines happened at a much younger age, but I'd say it took a lot longer to learn some things due to less sources of information. On the other hand, car tuning used to be much more hands on pure mechanical and one quickly understood ignition timing, fuel mixtures, etc since there were no crank and cam sensors and all electronic spark curves. You actually had to understand the 4 cycle theory to be able to time a distributor or lash valvetrain. It used to amaze me how many mechanics didn't really understand that.

I started into working on my own stuff by 18 or 19 years old- after I had a taste of acceleration from someones mildly modified 351 Cougar, I was hooked on muscle cars. I even had a diversion (that lasted 5 years) into the automotive trade at a time when both fuel injection and carburetors were still relevant.

Now I just do it for myself.

Last edited by mike100; 03-09-2013 at 05:08 PM.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote