ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 04-13-2013   #1
Tripler

Default Gage Cluster

I am in the process of looking to buy a ZR1 in a year or so and have of course been searching for the ZR1 I would want to own . 1990 would be my first choice . I have noticed that some of the gage cluster in some 1990 ZR1's are different . Some 1990's have the oil pressure max at 80 and others say 550 . Does anyone know why they differ ?

Last edited by Tripler; 04-13-2013 at 11:42 PM.
Tripler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #2
Schrade

Default Re: Gage Cluster

Welcome onto the boards there!

Can't tell you why the differences there, but maybe someone else can here, although 550 sounds like an export car, with metric measurements...

Conversion chart shows 80 PSI = 551580.5832 Pascal (decimal difference x 1,000)
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 04-14-2013 at 04:14 AM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #3
WVZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripler View Post
I am in the process of looking to buy a ZR1 in a year or so and have of course been searching for the ZR1 I would want to own . 1990 would be my first choice . I have noticed that some of the gage cluster in some 1990 ZR1's are different . Some 1990's have the oil pressure max at 80 and others say 550 . Does anyone know why they differ ?
I would have thought you might have noticed the entire cluster being "metric" and not just the oil pressure. I believe judging from your location you've apparently been looking at some RPO Z49 Canadian equipment cars and the others are regular production US builds. Looking at the options on the console door would confirm this for you. It might be of interest for yourself likely to have a car "destined" for Canada. If your looking at '90 MY cars along with Z49 you should see T61 (DRL) and if the DRL function doesn't operate then it was likely by-passed with a 100 Ohm resistor to defeat it.

Last edited by WVZR-1; 04-14-2013 at 04:29 AM.
WVZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #4
Tripler

Smile Re: Gage Cluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by WVZR-1 View Post
I would have thought you might have noticed the entire cluster being "metric" and not just the oil pressure. I believe judging from your location you've apparently been looking at some RPO Z49 Canadian equipment cars and the others are regular production US builds. Looking at the options on the console door would confirm this for you. It might be of interest for yourself likely to have a car "destined" for Canada. If your looking at '90 MY cars along with Z49 you should see T61 (DRL) and if the DRL function doesn't operate then it was likely by-passed with a 100 Ohm resistor to defeat it.

Duh !!! . Some Canadian I am . I am not a fan of metric lol . Silly me. In looking at pictures of cars forsale , they do not always have a good pic of the gage cluster . They usually only show the milage so I could really only see the oil pressure gage . Makes complete sense to me now . Thanks for straightening me out on that one .
Old 04-14-2013   #5
Tripler

Wink Re: Gage Cluster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
Welcome onto the boards there!

Can't tell you why the differences there, but maybe someone else can here, although 550 sounds like an export car, with metric measurements...

Conversion chart shows 80 PSI = 551580.5832 Pascal (decimal difference x 1,000)

Thanks for the welcome . Can't believe I got caught on that . Dam metric lol !
And your mathematical equation shows that you do know
I have long forgotten grade 8 math .
Old 04-14-2013   #6
DaveK

Just for info. You don't need to get a car with DRL. ZR-1s are now too old for that requirement. My 91 is a U.S. spec car, no DRL and it was no problem when I imported it.

Welcome to the forum.

Dave
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #7
gbmidyear66

Correct - importing a US spec car more than 15 years old is no problem. You will need to get a safety check (at least in BC) before you can register the car - but you bypass the whole RIV headache.

Lots of great deals to be had on ZR-1's these days.
1990 Corvette ZR-1 #2824
4.10's, Custom PROM, Flowmaster, Top End Port
NCRS BC Chapter
gbmidyear66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #8
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripler View Post
Duh !!! . Some Canadian I am . I am not a fan of metric lol . Silly me. In looking at pictures of cars forsale , they do not always have a good pic of the gage cluster . They usually only show the milage so I could really only see the oil pressure gage . Makes complete sense to me now . Thanks for straightening me out on that one .
Neither are most Americans.

Trap times? In Metric??? 1/4 mile? My Z does NOT have Newton-Meters, Joules (it IS my 'jewel' ) , or any of that nonsense. It has HORSEpower. Maybe others might not agree tho', so I gotta' make sure to not offend anyone...

But the US Fed is bound and determined to relinquish American ways (AND OUR sovereignty) to 'worldly' ways, i. e., spanglish, ebonics, metrics, ...

uh-OHes - still thinkin' here (see the smoke?) - I'm such a hypocrite - I have 315's in the back!!! LOL
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 04-14-2013 at 03:58 PM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #9
DaveK

You need the safety in Ontario also. You also pay import duties etc. as well if you buy in the US. That said prices "South of the border" are often low enough to make it worth that. Vette prices in Canada seem much higher. Depends on the car and what you're looking for obviously.

Dave
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013   #10
Tripler

I prefer DRL on a vehicle anyway but to let you guys know , I have noticed a lot of the new cars up here do not have running lights anymore which has really surprised me . I run with full light's on all of the time as I feel it is safer . I ride a vintage Motorcycle also which I rebuilt in 2004/2005 and I have it on High Beam during the day