ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 05-04-2014   #1
Vetman

Talking Exhaust sound

Borla exhaust has been on my z since I have owned it. I love the sound, especially as rpm pass 2000 to 2500 under light acceleration. Anytime a car is along side me drivers usually take notice when I run through that rpm range. My question is does stock exhaust and after market exhaust have the same or similar menacing sound at that rpm range?
2011 cts-v 556 HP, manual 6 speed
1955 chev 2dr ht PP 265 3 speed w/OD
Vetman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2014   #2
msorenso

Default Re: Exhaust sound

Just installed a Corsa, no cats, SW headers and it sounds very healthy plus NO DRONE!!!!
msorenso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014   #3
Fully Vetted

I have the SW's and no cats. Just need to install my corsa's. What catback are you running?

1994 AB/Grey #141

430 RWHP/392 RWTQ

FBI Lyposuction / Secondaries relieved of duty / SW Long Tube Headers / Corsa Exhaust / FIC SS Injectors / MSD Coils / Lightweight Pulleys / Corey tuned
B & M Shifter / Aluminum Flywheel / Samco Hoses / Shelby Series One's / C4 No Flex Frame Stiffener

BBC - Bling By Carter:
Custom ZR-1 Center Caps / Custom Plenum Plate / Air Box Knobs / TB Cover / Oil Filter Cover
Fully Vetted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014   #4
tf95ZR1

I have a Borla exhaust and also love the sound.
The problem is the resonator REALLY robs you
of HP. I replaced the resonator with an X-pipe
(and headers) and WOW! Yep, resonance
around 1800 rpm but for me that's OK.

Last edited by tf95ZR1; 05-05-2014 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Wanted 2
tf95ZR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014   #5
KILLSHOTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetman View Post
Borla exhaust has been on my z since I have owned it. I love the sound, especially as rpm pass 2000 to 2500 under light acceleration. Anytime a car is along side me drivers usually take notice when I run through that rpm range. My question is does stock exhaust and after market exhaust have the same or similar menacing sound at that rpm range?
Stock exhaust makes NO noise whatsoever; far too quiet for these cars, in my opinion. Even a stock exhaust with the resonator removed makes virtually no noise. The aftermarket systems all sound different but all add sound over stock.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014   #6
Jim Nolan

Smile Re: Exhaust sound

SW's, no cats and Corsa. Sounds good to me.
Jim Nolan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2014   #7
Racinfan83

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetman View Post
I just installed a Borla catback on mine. It makes a "tinny wraaaa" noise at about 3k rpm. As opposed to the normal "low rumble". Worse when cold, and really short. As in a space of maybe 200-300 rpm. Never hear it otherwise and once it warms up it is lessened.
Is that the noise you are talking about? #wonderingifIcanfixit
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #8
batchman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racinfan83 View Post
It makes a "tinny wraaaa" noise at about 3k rpm.
That sounds like a hardware rattle to me, from here anyway. Our car is a Borla with mix of piping (headers, no resonator, kludged cats) but there's nothing tinny about it, inside or out of the car. Does have quite the drone at times from idle to 2400 or so. Of course I've only heard it from outside the car a couple times.

Cheers,
- Jeff
[I]91 ZR-1 #1840, autocrossing in SCCA BSP. FIC S/S's
DRM chip/Watson/Borla/lid/LW batt&headlights,
springs, shocks, pads & lines, quick rack & Turn One,
camber brace, 32/22mm sways, A/C halfway deleted
17x11 & 12 CCW's, 315 & 335 Hoosier A6s

[/I]
batchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #9
KILLSHOTS

Yep, "tinny wraaaa" sounds like a loose heat shield to me. I've had problems with those on both of my Vettes. It will generally only occur at a very narrow and specific RPM range.
KILLSHOTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014   #10
Racinfan83

Don't know what it could be - there are no heat shields on this one. But Yeah that's kinda what it sounds like. Have to see if I can get a vid of it here in a day or two.. I got under the car and retightened all the bolts thinking that might be it after having driven it several miles but that didn't change it a bit. The only thing I can even imagine I might have done different is that I used a new "old" header collector gasket on the passenger side flange since the stock one that was on there was torn up when I took off the stock one. The gasket I had matched the holes so I figured it was good??
[CENTER][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=4][I][B] **Now Sold** 1990 ZR-1 #2093, Black on Black..[/B][/I][/SIZE][/COLOR][/CENTER]
Racinfan83 is offline   Reply With Quote