ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 09-15-2015   #1
Billy Mild

Default NASA HPDE Newbie

https://www.nasaproracing.com/events/1959

I'm considering going out for my first ever HPDE. I have done a few upgrades to the ZR-1 in order to make it somewhat ready for a track day, but have never done one in my life. I did Exotics Racing down in Vegas and had a lot of fun racing around their small track. I have heard a few guys say the Kansas track is not for newbie's and I might be better off starting on an easier track. I see they have a beginner group that is instructor will ride along and provide advice.

The ZR-1 I have is mostly stock, minus a few brake upgrades. I replaced the master cylinder, stainless steel brake flexible lines, Hawk HPS+ pads, drilled and slotted rotor, with all new fluid. I also have a hurst short throw shifter in place as well. I am considering cleaning my radiator fins before doing the track day to keep the engine running cool.

Has anyone done a HPDE in the ZR-1? How did it go?
Billy Mild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015   #2
RussMcB

Default Re: NASA HPDE Newbie

Billy, sounds like you've done the good first steps - prepping the brakes.

Do your tires have deep tread? If so you'll want to take care with them because they'll get hot and may have issues.

I've taken my ZR-1 to two track events in 2015. My biggest issue was overheating. Since then I've installed a Dewitt radiator, so I'm hoping it will be better when I go back next month.

I'd suggest cleaning your rad for sure. You might want to have new hoses on hand (before you R&R the radiator). If you have overheating issues during your early track sessions, you may be able to get by with shifting at lower RPM's (which shouldn't be a big deal at an HPDE - You'll still have a blast). You can always turn on the heater, too. :-)

I'm guessing you're a fairly level headed guy. If so, you'll be fine. What happens on the track (in a HPDE Beginner group) is 99% in your control, so just go as fast as you're comfortable. Don't worry about lap times or "competition". Just enjoy the opportunity to drive an awesome car on a race track. Concentrate on "the line", don't early-apex. Think "slow in, fast out". Brake early so you're not trying to save your life through the corner. :-)

Send me a PM if you want to discuss more. I've instructed a bunch, mostly at SCCA schools.

One more thing. Consider a video camera. You'll enjoy watching the video later. I have a Mobius. Cheap, small and high quality.
Russ McBride, [COLOR="Red"]Car Sold 8/2020[/COLOR] #1635, Marietta, GA USA, 1991 ZR-1, #766 (bought 1/1/2015)
MS3-Pro, OBX, SW X-Pipe, Borla, Hurst, SLP, Goodyear F1 GS-D3, Kenwood. HOTB 2016Q3
[IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=316&pictureid=2873[/IMG] [IMG]http://zr1.net/forum/picture.php?albumid=336&pictureid=2985[/IMG]
RussMcB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015   #3
d15b7

hey Billy! everything Russ said is spot on. I've been instructing for the PCA, NASA, BMW CCA, and other groups since the late 90's, and hold racing licenses with NASA, VRG, and SCCA too. you're going to have a BLAST doing HPDE!!!

remember, as Russ said, it's not a competition; it's a learning experience -- you are learning to drive your ZR-1 in a high speed environment, and learning skills to better develop your car handling, etc. I have a few more suggestions, too. If the tranny fluid isn't relatively fresh, I'd change it. same goes for the rear diff. have a good 'performance' alignment done at a local 'race' shop. don't go nuts, but a bit of extra negative camber will definitely help your tire wear and ultimate grip too.

be sure to bring plenty of fluids to the track to drink (you'll sweat a lot!). bring good snacks to eat (bananas, apples, granola bars, stuff like that). DE events are very physical (for the humans)!. bring a good tire gauge with you and check the tires after every run group (I'd guess that a good target hot tire temp pressure would be around 38 psi hot all the way around). bring a couple extra quarts of engine oil and check after every run group or so. bring an extra set of front brake pads (it is very possible to wear out a set of pads in just two days at the track!). bring a decent selection of common tools (socket set, open end wrenches, screw drivers, pliers, etc). bring duct tape and zip ties too.

hope that helps you have a great first DE adventure!!!

Todd
d15b7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015   #4
Billy Mild

I had an alignment done last year to factory specs. I also have a set of Nitto NT-05's with only about 2000 miles on them. Also last year I did change the coolant, trans fluid, rear diff fluid, and oil. I will change the engine oil before this event to be sure its fresh.

Is there anything I need to do as far as a medical check. I was reading all over the site and it appears that a physical needs to be done, but is that only for the pro's in the higher classes?

It sounds like I need to pull the radiator to make it is clear of any crud. It will be a good time to replace my oil cooler lines anyway.
Old 09-15-2015   #5
RussMcB

I tried blowing out my radiator with it in place and, I may have cleaned it a little, but later when I took it out of the car I found a lot more debris, so yes, you'll probably want to lift it to get to the crap.

I'm not sure what that organization requires for medical. Send someone the question via email, or post the question in their forum.

Todd's suggestions are great, and I thought of something else. Make sure you torque your wheels before your first session, and then, (after you get a little more aggressive), expect them to loosen a bit. Here's the important part: Do Not retorque the wheels when the hubs are hot or you can do damage. Wait until the car has had a chance to cool down, which may take more than an hour (depending on how hot the brakes got, etc.)

I *think* I torqued my ZR-1 wheels to 110 ft lbs., but I'll need to verify that. I have longer studs and deep nuts.

When is the event? I'm excited for you. :-)
Old 09-16-2015   #6
Demps

The NT-05s are a good first-event tire. They "talk" to you. You'll see. Also, read the tire edges after a run. There are some wear marks that you want to get too. I checked tire pressures before & after. Write them down with notes on tire edge wear. If I remember correctly I started a hot day with 30 psi & it was too much. Take it easy first run and measure psi for a guide.

Great advice already on tires & wheels. In addition, I would remove plastic lug covers & center caps if not already done so. I would also flush brakes & replace with a high temp fluid (Brembo or Castrol). Pads/rotors can wear quickly depending on type & use.

Here's my checklist (modified):
Chairs
Cooler
Helmet
Cotton shirts & pants
Tools
Tag
Jacks
Jack stands
Clutch slave & master
Ez y up
Blankets
iPod arm band
Fluids
Keys

There should be a time you check hubs. The events can be hard on them. Bottom line, be safe & have fun.

Ted
Demps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2015   #7
Billy Mild

I have already replaced my rear hubs. My fronts still appear to be okay.

It sounds like I may need to trailer my car out there with all the stuff you guys bring.
Old 09-16-2015   #8
RussMcB

Yeah, trailering has a few advantages, including peace of mind. I always choose that route.

If it is a well attended event, you'll probably find lots of folks willing to help out with tools, etc.
Old 09-16-2015   #9
Billy Mild

I am about 30 minutes from the track. I don't have a trailer, but I could rent one I guess for my car. I know the Jeep could tow it without an issue.
Old 09-16-2015   #10
RussMcB

Sorry. For some reason I assumed you owned a trailer. For your situation, you can probably do fine without the hassle of getting a rental trailer.

Will you have a buddy or two come with you to help out? Maybe one with a pickup truck? :-)