ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 01-07-2017   #1
Vette73

Default 22.600 for a showroom 94 blk/red

Since theres always so much discussion on pricing I figured i would post this..Went through my ebay account yesterday and saw that i was following a no reserve auction on a 94 Z....

It actually ended on the 30th of Dec.......I dont know how to forward the link but,it was one of the cleanest Zs I ever saw.....Beautiful black paint, red interior of which only three were made in this color combo in 94..Chrome A-molds w ZR1 engraved center caps,29,300 miles,with new tires.....There were at least 60 photos showing the car.....It spent all its life in Arizona and from the photos i would rate it a 9/10........

It was a no reserve auction and the winning bid was 22,600......So if a 94 this clean can only bring in that type of money what can a 90-91 bring in? I always follow pricing on these cars and other vettes as well.....All across the board prices are down on Corvettes.....

I see some members on other sites advertising 94-95 Zs in the 30s and there not moving at all.....You would think with the bear market we have been experiencing 'I hope its not fake money"and interest rates still very low the sports car market would be strong......Eventually interest rates will rise...

So if you ask me were not at the bottom yet...Prices for our cars will continue to decline...
Vette73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017   #2
WARP TEN

Default Re: 22.600 for a showroom 94 blk/red

FWIW, I just posted this on the Corvette Forum ZR-1 section. The 22,600 seems a little low but not too far off, and sometimes cars just come up in an auction setting when there just isn't the right buyer looking or there at the time.

I just received my new 2017 Edition Pocket Price Guide from Sports Car Market Magazine. They cover auctions—a very nice monthly magazine. Their Pocket Price Guide lists median prices from their Platinum Auction Database, a compilation of all auction results in the past year. They used to list high and low prices as well but no longer do, as the highs and lows were often so far off the median they were confusing. So here is their list for ZR-1s. My notes: (1) They do not list how many data points their numbers are based on so it could be a small number is distorting prices, especially in the 93-95 years; (2) I will never understand why Anniversary cars get priced so high since they made so many of them; and (3) I don’t know why their number for 1995s is so high; again maybe a small sample size. While I think I did well, I know I didn't get $48,600 for mine! But here is what they list:
Year Median Auction Value
1990 $24,200
1991 $22,000
1992 $20,000
1993 $25,400
1993 Anniversary $48,600
1994 $27,500
1995 $48,600

--Bob
2016 Long Beach Red Z06 #10281 "POPS Z"
1995 Polo Green #409 "WARP TEN"--Haibeck 350/510 package, 4.10s, Hurst, Stock Exhaust with QTP Cutouts
--Sold but still running strong
1993 Quasar Blue #161 "HIL KING"
--Sold but still running strong, now with more than 120,000 miles
1967 Marlboro Maroon/Saddle Corvette Coupe 300 hp/4-spd
--Sold a long time ago
ZR-1 Net Registry Founding Member #95
NCM Lifetime Member
Favorite Quote--Attributed to Mickey Thompson:
"Too Much Horsepower is Almost Enough"
WARP TEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017   #3
Ereeves

Yeah, I saw your post over there. I have had mine listed since around Oct and have received some interest but no serious offers. The market is not real good right now for sellers.
1993 #330 White/Red
2012 #172 Centennial
Ereeves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017   #4
DRM500RUBYZR-1

There is no factual proof of a continuing decline on a widespread basis in the values of high quality ZR-1s.

You have proven that E-Bay, is without a doubt, one of the absolute stupidest places to sell a high quality car, particularly if it is a ZR-1.

In a 7 day auction you have a better chance of being struck by lightning, then you have of finding the right buyer for such a car.

I find the average timeframe to sell a high quality Corvette is easily measured in months, and can take as long as two years.

7 days cannot be defended by anyone other then a desperate seller, or one who wants out at any price, rather than out for the right price.

You can't fix stupid.

The moral to this and similar stories is that if you have a really nice car to sell, put it with someone who can actually sell it, or at least do it yourself.

If it is a crapped out p o s put it in an instant auction or in one of the barter type paper channels or similar electronic channels.

Mecum or Barrett are fine; you could get your clock cleaned or go home with hundreds falling out of your pocket, you just don't know, but at least those boys and girls know what they are doing.

The buyer is not the only person who must "be aware".

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017   #5
Vette73

I've sold two motorcycles in the past on ebay...I wouldn't sell no reserve...That just hurts the value of other autos trying to be sold privately...

I agree dealerships want to move inventory at least some...Have seen a few Zs for sale for over two years now at dealerships and there still there..

A shrude buyer right now is in the drivers seat so to speak..
Old 01-07-2017   #6
edram454

I wish there was better news about what zr1's should bring but the auction is where the chit walks and money talks. I was never so surprised as to what people would actually pay for them. Even though it is a fantastic car with a pedigree and an exciting story as to how it was built and all of its growing pains and how gm killed it at the end, people in general dont appreciate it as it should be. Most would rather have a pos porsche, or pos bmw or pos ferrari etc... or a new corvette etc... It suffers from the c4 syndrome that most people, not in the know, suffer from. Most people I talk too have never seen a 4 cam corvette and they dont seem to care either. I say, if you want to get rid of her, take your lumps and dont look back. she will be gone in a second at there prices..... not your prices. For those who bought as an investment.... it may not have been a good idea. I would drive it until the wheels come off or wait another 10 years and see what they are worth then. If I were an invester, I would never get into a c4 zr1 period. I would go look at a slow slug pos porsche, pos ferrari or some other pos car that car enthusiasts favor. I would never buy a pos porsche to drive around, it would be sold just like the corner ho. show me da money honey!! those who really like and appreciate what the c4 zr1 is and are close to competent lt5 mechanics should just keep them and enjoy and forget about what it will bring at auction. Just enjoy the beast.

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017   #7
edram454

btw,, at 22.6k is a little high. I would expect to pay 20k cash firm. I bet that would buy it at auction.

1990 #3028..siamese ported plen/hous/SGC/fidanza/DRM LTHeaders/DRM roll cage/camber rod/drilled slot rotors hawk track pads/grand sport calipers/full corsa exhaust/Hurst/NO cats/custom SGC chip/cbeamplate/315's on all 4/intake water plugged/smog removed..RC injectors/LED lights..SHOULD NOT HAVE PUT ALL THE MONEY IN IT.. SOLD.
edram454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017   #8
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
btw,, at 22.6k is a little high. I would expect to pay 20k cash firm. I bet that would buy it at auction.

Saying a car is for sale by putting it on an auction site or taking it to one is far different from "selling the car".

A good auction house will advertise the car before hand in hopes of bringing it to the attention of someone who actually wants that car, then shows up, in person or on the phone to bid and buy.

E-Bay is nothing like that at all. The people buying there are typically in search of a "deal", or a "steal"
So if selling there, understand that they are the audience you are exposing your car to, and rarely would they pay anywhere near top dollar.

Why would you do that?
Desparate?
Lazy, cant be bothered?
Don't understand?
Or, you just don't care to "work" looking for the right buyer.

Why people would sell a $100.00 bill for $70.00 or worse still amazes me, although you can find quite a few examples.

If you have a quality car,
1- authenticate it and it's condition, NCRS or Bloomington are great examples of doing this in a generally accepted, objective fashion.
2- prepare the car; clean it until spotless! Then go back and clean it 2-3 more times ( or pay someone to do it for you)
3- put it with a dealer that is known, and discuss how you car will be marketed, not simply exposed.
4- FIX all the little things, and of course any big things.
5- do your homework on price, and avoid all of this low-price white noise.
so-so cars get so-so prices, p o s cars get p o s prices, the really good cars get really good prices ( barring foolishness or desperation)
6- Lastly, understand it takes likely 3-6 months, sometimes more, to find the right buyers for a car, unless it's priced as a bargain. If you really need the money now, you should have started 6 months ago or more. STOP behaving like it's life or death. You want fast? then start with a lower price, but know you are leaving money on the table. That is OK if it's your money and your decision, but make sure at least that there is a reason for your actions.

Now wait for the calls from your dealer, and call them back asap when they do call and discuss with them the terms of the offer, and the quality of the buyer. If you are priced at the top of the market, a little movement won't hurt, and just might get the deal done quickly. In many cases, the dealer knows the buyer, and can give you good clues on what you need to do to get the car sold.

STOP listening to the "no demand", "prices in the toilet" crowd. They are free to buy and sell on the bay picking amongst the so-so and the clapped out cars, unless of course yours is the clapped out car.

High quality cars (including ZR-1's) ARE selling, and selling at very good prices, if you are smart, if you do it right, and if you have a little patience.

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017   #9
billschroeder5842

Quote:
Originally Posted by edram454 View Post
It suffers from the c4 syndrome that most people, not in the know, suffer from. Most people I talk too have never seen a 4 cam corvette and they dont seem to care either..... Just enjoy the beast.
I think you hit the head on this one. As a former C3 guy, the C4 "seems" to be an acquired taste although (having had both) the C4 is a superior car in every respect.

The C4 is "the forgotten middle child" of the Corvettes

1991 Corvette ZR1 #1388
2015 Challenger Scat Pack Shaker

billschroeder5842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2017   #10
Vette73

Quote:
Originally Posted by billschroeder5842 View Post
I think you hit the head on this one. As a former C3 guy, the C4 "seems" to be an acquired taste although (having had both) the C4 is a superior car in every respect.

The C4 is "the forgotten middle child" of the Corvettes
Very true....I have a 73 convertible that I owned now for the past 15 years....Its not stock and it certainly doesn't sound like it......When I bought my Z I thought it would be kool to own two from different generations ....I had no idea sites like this existed ZR-1 forum , Corvette forum....My search for cars were eBay and car gurus and maybe Hemings..

Allthough I felt I got a good deal on my Z there was so much to learn from these forums ......There's a lot of great deals out there I feel on the Z....Yet if you park my two Vettes together what car you think most would look at? The 73 without a doubt.......

The Corvette purist knows about the ZR-1....The general buyer does not because both cars the standard C4 and the ZR-1 are so similar looking....The C-4 is by far the bastard generation of Corvette but it is so much better than the C-3.....The common buyer does not see that.....Personally I think the new stingray is beautiful....Its got a lot of bling and that's what sells....