ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 11-06-2017   #1
Zrracer

Default Installing body kit

5th week.......
I waited months for the place that was going to install my kit. In all fairness a couple weeks delay to Erma included.
It was all so comfortable. His knowledge of fiberglass and a stingray on the sign.
I decided to start with the rear fender cover as I understand it is the most challenging. I also wanted the gas tank replaced while we were at it. We had much discussion about which light to use as a third brake light.
I had given him more money last Thursday. The third brake light was to have come in today.
Then........
The email, no call just an email stating he was not working on the car any more. He had put it outside the back door and would I please pick it up today. He would refund non used money.
I went over and talked to the owner who was frustrated with the fiberglass kit.
This is the guy who said he had vast fiberglass knowledge.
He put the rear cover on. 2if the rear lights were not installed along with back up lights and lic plate light and off course the third brake light.
End of round one.
I am thinking off taking the remaining pieces to a fiberglass shop and then to a body shop for adjustment and instal.
This is not going to be easy I think!
Aaarg......
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9A1D2FDB-DAD6-4E0B-8CB2-49C245E51B24.jpeg (117.8 KB, 141 views)
File Type: jpeg DFB61539-DF07-46DF-9A7D-3B41484A70AE.jpeg (121.6 KB, 116 views)
Zrracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017   #2
A26B

Default Re: Installing body kit

The rear bumper cover was the best piece on mine. The gill/rocker pieces required the most modification to align with the new lower door panels. The front bumper had Lots of air bubbles under the gel coat. We poked & probed for hours & still missed a couple. No worries, they will show up after its painted & you can redo the nose :-(
All in all, I would do it again.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2017   #3
Zrracer

Thanks Jerry
I guess I am in for a long haul with this kit.
I also have just decided to use a standard resprayable paint. For the repaint.
I will pick the car up tomorrow and the rest of the body kit parts. I talked with a fiberglass place today. They want to c the pieces. Hope this new idea works out. I would like to get this finished and back on the road after 10 years.
Robin
Old 11-07-2017   #4
cvette98pacecar

Please, Keep us informed on your progress. I will be installing my body kit on the LPE the week of Thanksgiving.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017   #5
Zrracer

This is the LPE kit I am installing. I have done a Shinnoda/means kit years ago. As it was going to be done at the factory it was very straight forward and very well done. It fitted the car and used the existing attachment points. I will try and include a picture below.
Today I went from boat shop to boat shop looking for someone who has had great experience with fiberglass. I finally was directed to a car guy with lots of experience. He then referred me to another shop. I took the quarter panels to him. One was good one was bad. We made a deal for Him To start tomorrow. He is an older guy like me. He does not want to do the install of the kit. He is willing to take the rear cover off and redo it and get it right though. I suspect he will do the instal though. Even if he does not I can have the rest of the kit installed and have him do the necessary adjustments. He is going to prime it also.
I want the kit primed and hung on the car first. Jerry had problems with pin holes on his front piece. My quarters have the same issue. My conversation today put me at ease with the pinholes. He claims he will do 2 coats of polyester and that will stop the pinholes. I hope so.
He does want to do the paint when I am ready. He promises zero tape lines anywhere on the car. Hand sanding everything from blocking to 4 coats of clear.
Oh well,
I just hope after the costly first try I can get the kit whipped into shape and problem free. Oh yea, I am going to have the OEM pieces removed to allow him to fit the kit pieces.
I will post pictures as the kit gets done and hung.
I then will be addressing the engine which has not run for 10 years. I will then Yank the interior and get that all done while the painting gets done. I suspect I will then need a lot of final touches to get it done.
I now have to redo my timeline which was a foolish 6 months to do to a I have no idea when it’s getting done.
Robin
Old 11-07-2017   #6
Zrracer

I can’t upload pictures. The site says that the connection is lost.
I will try later.
Old 11-07-2017   #7
A26B

Bret Henderson would be the best for the job, but I doubt he has time for that type of work. If anyone would know someone to do the job for you, Brett would. You might reach out to him and ask for a referral.
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017   #8
GOLDCYLON

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrracer View Post
This is the LPE kit I am installing. I have done a Shinnoda/means kit years ago. As it was going to be done at the factory it was very straight forward and very well done. It fitted the car and used the existing attachment points. I will try and include a picture below.
Today I went from boat shop to boat shop looking for someone who has had great experience with fiberglass. I finally was directed to a car guy with lots of experience. He then referred me to another shop. I took the quarter panels to him. One was good one was bad. We made a deal for Him To start tomorrow. He is an older guy like me. He does not want to do the install of the kit. He is willing to take the rear cover off and redo it and get it right though. I suspect he will do the instal though. Even if he does not I can have the rest of the kit installed and have him do the necessary adjustments. He is going to prime it also.
I want the kit primed and hung on the car first. Jerry had problems with pin holes on his front piece. My quarters have the same issue. My conversation today put me at ease with the pinholes. He claims he will do 2 coats of polyester and that will stop the pinholes. I hope so.
He does want to do the paint when I am ready. He promises zero tape lines anywhere on the car. Hand sanding everything from blocking to 4 coats of clear.
Oh well,
I just hope after the costly first try I can get the kit whipped into shape and problem free. Oh yea, I am going to have the OEM pieces removed to allow him to fit the kit pieces.
I then will be addressing the engine which has not run for 10 years. I will then Yank the interior and get that all done while the painting gets done. I suspect I will then need a lot of final touches to get it done.
I now have to redo my timeline which was a foolish 6 months to do to a I have no idea when it’s getting done.
Robin

Wow where did you find an LPE kit?
GOLDCYLON - 91 ZR-1 #2014
GOLDCYLON - 90 ZR-1 #2794, 4L60e (Formerly Schrade's)

GOLDCYLON - 11 CTS-V

Arizona State Director

91 WHITE/BLACK #2014. 380 P&P&PCed,Ported Heads, Jeal Long tubes, Corsa Exhaust/FIKSE FM-5s /LED TLs, LED Headlights, Front Wilwood 6 piston narrowlite calipers and rear Wilwood caliper street shop mod,CNCed Coolant Pipes,TPI Cvr,Filter cover,Stainless Bolts, DRM/DOM PROM /ZFDOC mod build #102,DRLs,BMAD with stainless Debris Screen,Coplan Air Blaster, Pioneer APP Radio 4,Brey-Krause HB,Sub Bar,Fire extinguisher seat mount,DRM Coilovers,LEDs everywhere,Compass mirror (orange),V1 DIC hidden display, Homelink sun visor, Carbon Fiber top x3 and APSIS Carbon Fiber interior, APSIS CF Steering Wheel/NAPA Leather, Banski trailing arms, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension) ZFDoc drive shaft safety loop, raptor shift light (orange),AO engineering louver front plate, Console seat cushion, 96CE seats with black custom Sheepskins, ss billet catch can,Viper remote entry/alarm,Cragar Rear Louvers,LED side louver lights, Dewitts Radiator with SPAL fans and a Woods 160 T-Stat

90 RED/BLACK #2794. 4L60e Automatic Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless Headers, Corsa Exhaust, SAN Secondaries and Haibeck PROM, Exotic Muscle Coil overs, LED Interior Lights, LED Tail Lights, LED Headlights, 94 Sport seats with black custom Sheepskins , Cragar rear louvers, GS Front calipers, Banski Trailing arms, APSIS Carbon Fiber steering wheel, Front and Rear Baer Eradispeeds, DRLs, Guldstrand front suspension,urethane bushings from Prothane (total suspension), Dewitt's Raditor with Dual SPAL fans and a Haibeck 170 T-Stat

11 RED/GREY CTS-V
GOLDCYLON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017   #9
cvette98pacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zrracer View Post
Oh well,
Robin

There is no mistaken the rear body clip.

Robin, I have two contacts below. Like Jerry stated Brett is the best choice, But he unfortunately is buried with life and C1.

Paint Spot in Addison, Illinois. Mark H introduced me to Vince years ago, He does excellent work.

Carravagio Corvette in Concord, ON. John is currently building my Shinoda Spyder. I am hoping to get it back before the snow flies.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[COLOR=blue]G[/COLOR][COLOR=red]rand[/COLOR] [COLOR=blue]S[/COLOR][COLOR=red]port[/COLOR] Registry Lifetime Member
NCM Lifetime Member #2655
Pacecar Registry Member
[COLOR=red]ZOOM Charter Member - ZR-1 Owners of Michigan[/COLOR]
[COLOR=plum][I]ZR-1[/I] Registry member since 2012 [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]1990 LPE "368" Aerobody ZR-1, Last ZR-1 built by John[/COLOR]
1991 Callaway Aerobody ZR-1, DRM 500
1991 Shinoda Aerobody Spyder,
1998 Pace Car
cvette98pacecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017   #10
Zrracer

Here r the Shinoda/means pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg BEC67486-852E-42B7-8A12-CBC9928C6B76.jpeg (14.5 KB, 102 views)
File Type: jpeg C2D1E41D-35CF-4859-9D67-F72D81C9FB4B.jpeg (159.8 KB, 80 views)