ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-29-2020   #1
vetteguy48

Default Potential ZR-1 Owner

Good Morning. I have owned vettes for many years and currently have a 82CE and 19 GS convert. Have never owned a Z but have lusted after them for years. I am actually a big fan of C4's which sadly are under appreciated. I have had many over the years. I have found a 90 ZR-1 near me with vin:
1G1YZ23J5L5802178. the car is one owner with 10,500 miles. I have perused the site and already found a lot of useful info..things to look out for. I guess my biggest concern is how much time this car has potentially sat. i am going to take my first look at the car today. Anyway..any advice or consul would be really appreciated.
vetteguy48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020   #2
tomcat

Default Re: Potential ZR-1 Owner

Hello,

Their are ZR1 folks in Olympia that can help.

Manfred E......

91 #906
tomcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020   #3
ghlkal

Good luck with the search.

That VIN is 2 earlier than my 1990.

Like any 30 year old car, it will need some attention. But, that's part of the fun.

Report back with your impressions.
1990 ZR-1 #2180 Red/Black
Many of the usual mods for 460HP, tuned by Marc Haibeck
ZR-1 Net Registry Member #1548
ghlkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020   #4
ram_g

I recently purchased a '91 with 12,800 miles that had been mostly sitting for about 14-15 years. In addition to the normal things like fluid changes, etc., I had to address the following items:
- Leaking secondary vacuum. The interval that Paul mentions was 2-3 seconds for me. Replacing the first connector that is outside the plenum resulted in the interval going up to 8-10 seconds; not perfect but ok for now. $2.
- No reverse lights. The backup light switch often goes bad but I am told that it's worse if the car is parked with reverse engaged. No idea if that was the case but anyhow it was quite easy to access and swap out the switch. $50.
- One shock actuator needed to be replaced. These can get stuck with road grime, or presumably lack of use. Suggested fix is to clean them out but that didn't work for me. Replaced with aftermarket part, all is well now. $200
- Stereo system (Delco/Bose) not working. Now this is something that definitely goes bad with age, with or without miles. I chose to rebuild the amps rather than replace the entire system. Works great now. $400

I am currently facing a couple of other little issues but nothing too terrible. Overall very pleased with the car and no regrets.

Edit - Oh, also, the injectors apparently go bad on the '90-'92 cars because they were not ethanol resistant. Mine seem to be ok at the moment (at least I can't tell if they're bad!) and I'm using non-ethanol gas to hopefully delay when I would have to replace the injectors. You may want to check if the injectors were ever replaced on that car.

Last edited by ram_g; 08-30-2020 at 11:56 AM.
ram_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020   #5
Ccmano

Did this a while back over on the other forum.

It all depends on what it is that you are looking for. If you don't work on your own cars and you want a fun weekend car that is reasonably reliable you will need a car that has been upgraded with at least some of the major known ZR-1 and C4 issues already addressed. If your like me you enjoy wrenching on the car and the challenge of fixing everything. I look for a solid car at a bargain price and do the work myself. To me that's a fun weekend.

I'm sure I missed few but here you go.

Known major issues ZR-1 some related to higher miles some not. But don't assume because your looking at a low miles car these won't exist.

Injectors have they been replaced, plan on replacing original 90-92 injectors, they corrode from ethanol in modern fuel, even on low mile cars.
Vacuum leaks, a high idle is a give away. Could be anywhere on the engine.
Secondaries operable, do you get full LT5 power. Is the SES light on? Will the engine easily rev beyond 4K rpm to 7k?
Ingnition coils and wires replaced?
Timing chain noise at cold start (normal to a some degree on 90's)
Starter? Ask if there have been intermittent starting problems.
Oil leaks especially the pan and oil cooler lines
Does the engine smoke or burn oil (normal to a small degree at startup on 90's) All LT5s burn some oil.
Fuel pumps have they been replaced? These can go bad on low mile cars stored for long periods.
Is it throwing any engine, abs or body codes (multiple possibilities here, SES light will be on)
Are any DIC lights on. (Multiple possibilities here as well)
Is the adjustable shocks system working? Again a dash light.
Windshield delamination. Edges will have a smoked or frosted look. Does it have a ZR-1 windshield with the cutout at the base of the glass in front of the driver.
A/C functionality (compressor is unique to the Z, cooling capacity lower)
Power switch functionality and keys (are there 2)
Transmission synchro's, (first gear is always noisy) shifter alignment can mimick synco problems.
Clutch functionality (they all let in high, was it ever changed)
Egr system on later models
Engine mounts, not easily checked.

C4 Issues
Head lights operable
Radiator blocked or simply clogged, electric fans operable, are engine coolant temps normal with the AC on?
Wheel bearings
Suspension bushings
Condition of all door, top and hatch seals
Glass roof cracking or crazing
Instrument cluster functionality especially the tach (tends to read high with age) also note the lighting of the cluster.
DIC button functionality
Steering wheel excessive movement, is the knuckle loose.
Radio and speaker functionality (especially speaker amps) and antenna
Sport seat functionality (transmission, switches, pumps and bladders)
Door window switches
Door window lifter and internal rattles
Fuel tank bladder collapse (results in small capacity)
Differential noise (whine)

Have fun...
H
90'ZR-1 #1461 Red/Black
Ported Intake, Degreed Cams, OBX Headers & Exhaust, Fidanza FW, Secondary Delete, Custom tune, C6 GS Wheels. Sold
08 C6 Z51 Crystal Red Metallic Sold Vararam Intake, Tune, Sold
05 C6 Z51 Red/Black Sold
90'ZR-1 #1723 Black/Gray Sold but not forgotten
91' Z51 L98 White Vert. My First, you always remember your first. Sold.
Ccmano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020   #6
zr1assassin

Someone made a quick $10k 🤣👍

Screenshot_20200831-214644_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200831-214653_Chrome.jpg
zr1assassin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020   #7
DRM500RUBYZR-1

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1assassin View Post

Attachment 12786

Attachment 12787
OR, someone lost $10,000.00 in favor of a quick sale.

Some refuse to pay double for a soda, just because it is cold and convenient, while many others happily do so because they want it NOW and can't wait or plan ahead.

Long live Capitalism!

Marty
DRM500RUBYZR-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020   #8
G8nightman

Quote:
Originally Posted by zr1assassin View Post

Attachment 12786

Attachment 12787
This is not always accurate I have seen cars that have been sold and still listed for sale from different dealers with different prices
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2315 'SOLD'
90 Chevy ZR1 LPE #2774 'SOLD'
91 Chevy ZR1 Callaway aerobody
91 Chevy ZR1 #1512
91 Chevy ZR1 #951
95 Chevy ZR1 #338 'SOLD'
91 BMW 850i
94 BMW 850csi
95 BMW 850csi
94 Lotus Esprit S4
07 Benz CLS550
06 BMW M5 "SOLD"
G8nightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020   #9
vetteguy48

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I bought the car. it was a trade deal so I probably have about 22K into it. The car has obviously been stored for some period. before the BAT auction in 11/19, the car had not been registered since 98. BTW, the person that was shown as winning that auction did not buy, I contacted him and he said the tinted top had a crack so he declined (???) dumb! Anyway the car must have sold to someone because it showed ownership change in Nov. 19, but only about 100 miles were put on the car from that date until I bought it this weekend. I drove the car home, about 55 miles and it ran really well, but there is some rear noise that could be wheel bearings or u-joints. A little tire bounce, but i think the tires are the originals...so will try to balance..but might replace. otherwise the car is what you would expect for the age and situation. Paint is great except for a couple of chips on the door and rear corner...call it patina. So I will check all the tips everyone sent, and act accordingly. I do a lot of DIY stuff, but have no experience with the LT5...so will be on a learning curve at first. My biggest disappointment was that the pics of the auction site showed the "pizza box" owners kit, but the car did not have it when I bought it. The dealer here bought it at auction out of CA so I am going to do my best to try and track it down, but who knows. More to come as this adventure unfolds.
Old 09-01-2020   #10
vetteguy48

Thanks for the post. Bought the car so any contact info for Olympia folks would be appreciated. Thanks