ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 06-08-2008   #1
Trizney

Default Need help/ideas for removing power steering pulley

Some how the u-shaped power steering hose under the pump has moved, causing a leak. Its pretty much impossible to get to the clamp without removing the power steering pump pulley, which is my problem.

When my power steering pump failed, I went ahead and installed the zr1products.com billet aluminum pulley with my new pump. It incorporates an independent steel hub, and the pulley then screws onto the hub. Well, the screws that come with the kit, are not real deep for the 5/8 allen socket. I was able to get 1 of the 3 bolts out, but the other 2 are now FUBARed.

Because the pulley attaches to the hub with the screws, the screws are in the way for you to get a power steering pulley puller on. Also, if you could get it on, the billet pulley sits in a way where the half moons of the puller are too thick to grip the hub.

I have bought now 2 puller sets, and grinded them down to be thin enough along with knotching them to clear the bolts, but it makes one of the pieces weak and it brakes during removal.

There is not much room, my right angle drill is too big, my 3 jaw puller is too big, my 2 jaw puller is not thin enough to fit into the hole on the power steering pump. I am running out of ideas to get this damn thing off.

You can see a pic of the setup here:
http://www.zr1products.com/images/Po...ump_Pulley.jpg
The bolts that came with the kit are different, the head is not as tall, and is rounded.

I have been fighting this for 2 days now.

I think my next course of action is a dremel, shave down the bolts to where I can just remove the pulley and then pull the hub off and use an extractor to get the bolts out.

Word to the wise if you are thinking about purchasing this kit, do NOT use red loctite on the bolts. Go for the blue loctite.

Trey
Trizney is offline   Reply With Quote