ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 07-06-2008   #1
Trizney

Default Secondary Vacuum Solenoid Question

I have a question on this solenoid

Now, I didn't order a filter, I just capped the end pictured on the right.

Does anyone know for sure what the filter is used for? I am thinking that is my problem possibly.

The only thing I can think of is that when the car is not needing the secondaries, this filter allows bleed off of the vacuum so the secondaries do not stay activated, as which they are doing now, causing Code 61. I think I just answered my question, but I would like some clarity.

Trizney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008   #2
Hammer

Talking Re: Secondary Vacuum Solenoid Question

Aurora40 just answered your question in my thread about this solenoid. Apparently the outcome of plugging the new style solenoid is the secondaries staying open. We need the filter.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][I]2015 ZL1 [/I][I]Camaro #1121 BLACK/BLACK 6 SPD (540 RWHP)[/I][/SIZE][/FONT]
[I][FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1]1991 ZR-1 #458 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK 72[/COLOR]k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])
1991 ZR-1 #473 [COLOR=red]RED/[/COLOR][COLOR=black]BLACK [/COLOR]37k miles ([B][COLOR=red]SOLD[/COLOR][/B])[/SIZE][/FONT][/I]
Hammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008   #3
Aurora40

Default Re: Secondary Vacuum Solenoid Question

Yup, you answered your own question, that's what it does. If you didn't have the GM filter, you could probably just cut some foam or fabric to put over it. The filter on the early style solenoid was hardly impressive, it just needs to keep bigger crap from clogging it up, I'd imagine. It's not moving a large volume of air through it.
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #4
Jarek5_7

Can anyone tell me if mine solenoid works ok?

when not aplied any volts the futher back outlet (on left) doesn`t keep any vacuum or pressure and air can moves freely to filter on right. the outlet on left closer on the pic holds vacuum. I think when volts aplied the closer and futher outles connects and then vacuum opens the actuators, filter is then cutoff. am I right with this? if I am it would mean that my solenoid works fine.

I didnt checked it with any volts aplied because I dontk know if it need 5v or 12v etc I just didnt wanted to brake it.

Last edited by Jarek5_7; 01-25-2009 at 06:18 AM.
Jarek5_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #5
ZR1Vette

Assume you are refering to this bugger>>

If so, have you run two tests:

Vacuum on secondary actuator lines
&
Secondary actuator system

[I][SIZE="2"]1990 RED on RED #566[/SIZE][/I]
[I][SIZE="2"]WAZOO MEMBER[/I][/SIZE]
ZR1Vette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #6
Aurora40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarek5_7 View Post

Can anyone tell me if mine solenoid works ok?

when not aplied any volts the futher back outlet (on left) doesn`t keep any vacuum or pressure and air can moves freely to filter on right. the outlet on left closer on the pic holds vacuum. I think when volts aplied the closer and futher outles connects and then vacuum opens the actuators, filter is then cutoff. am I right with this? if I am it would mean that my solenoid works fine.

I didnt checked it with any volts aplied because I dontk know if it need 5v or 12v etc I just didnt wanted to brake it.
Sounds like it is working right to me. Air moves freely on the side where the actuators are, yes? This means the actuators are not engaged. The side connected to the vacuum reservoir should hold vacuum, otherwise it would bleed off all the stored vacuum. When switched, presumably it will apply vacuum to the side that is now open, thus activating the actuators.

Are you having secondary problems?
Former owner of #2517

[IMG]http://a.random-image.net/aurora40/vette.jpg[/img]
Aurora40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009   #7
Jarek5_7

so the solenoid works. I took off plenum because of high idle issue and some other problems... I bought the car couple of months ago and now I`m trying to take care of all problems. while the plenum is off I`m checking everything again just to be sure.
Old 01-26-2009   #8
rhipsher

When I had to deal with code61 I found that the problem was in fact the vacuum solenoid. Once that cheesy little filter gets old and falls apart it allows contaminants to be sucked into it and will cause it to fail. Its only a $36.00 part. When I got the new one I just plugged it in and bingo problem solved. After checking everything else I was still getting code 61. And I thought to myself what haven't I check yet and sure enough that was it.
rhipsher is offline   Reply With Quote