ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 General Postings

Old 08-21-2009   #1
secondchance

Default Import into Canada

Has anyone on the forum purchased a car from US and drove into Canada?
If so, following are some questions:

1. Would Canadian DMV equivalent issue temporary tag prior to purchase for use driving back to Canada? Car is being purchased from an individual and not a dealer.
2. Is a title all you need for crossing into Canada? Should the car be declared at this time for import tariff?
3. Does the car need to be modified to meet Canadian specific regulations? i.e. DRL.

A buddy of mine has settled on a 2002 coupe in Baltimore. He will fly down here a couple of weeks and plan to drive it back.

Thanks in advance for any info.
secondchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009   #2
flyin ryan

Default Re: Import into Canada

Border needs a copy of everything 72 hours in advance. Can do it on your/his own but can be tricky sometimes, miss one thing then a guys left sitting at the border. I've always used a broker out of Mississauga Ont., no issues, paper work flies through. He/You need to go the RIV site. http://www.riv.ca/. Warning you it's not real clear cut in some cases, Government double talk .
Old 08-21-2009   #3
secondchance

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyin ryan View Post
Border needs a copy of everything 72 hours in advance. Can do it on your/his own but can be tricky sometimes, miss one thing then a guys left sitting at the border. I've always used a broker out of Mississauga Ont., no issues, paper work flies through. He/You need to go the RIV site. http://www.riv.ca/. Warning you it's not real clear cut in some cases, Government double talk .
Do you have a contact info for the broker you had dealt with in Mississauga?
Old 08-21-2009   #4
FU

From a buddy in Montreal

This site gives most of the intformation about importing a car to Canada from the U.S. There is also a number that you can phone and ask for info.
Canada won't issue a temp transport licesne but the state you buy it from will. You must check with your insurance company if you are covered.Good idea to have a letter from the DMV or that state police indicating that the VIN has been checked and it is not stolen. Customs can hold the car for 48 hours if you don't have a verification.They will check and hold the car "sometimes".Be careful if the vehicle ever had a salvage title "non rebuildable" cars or cars with history of flood damage.Car will not be allowed to enter for road use.Check the list of cars they do not allow entery and yes "some corvettes" made in U.S.A. can't enter Canada.
If you buy a car they don't accept for entry you are out of luck they won't let you bring it in no way no how.Check their list if the car does not qualify for entry.I know some C6'S can't but not sure about C5'S. Do your home work or you might run into a raodblock.
http://www.riv.ca/ImportingAVehicle.aspx

NCM Lifetime member # 982
Registry Founding # 237
FU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2009   #5
flyin ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by secondchance View Post
Do you have a contact info for the broker you had dealt with in Mississauga?
Bob White at White & White Customs Brokers
2601 Matheson Blvd.
Mississauga, Ont.
L4W-5A8
905 206 9966
905 206 9110 Fax

Good guy & does this everyday. Know's the in's & out's.
Old 08-21-2009   #6
secondchance

Thanks, flyin ryan.
I suggested to my buddy that it would be a good idea to have a broker sort it out rather than calling me from Niagara Falls border check point and asking me to pick him up.
Old 08-23-2009   #7
blackjack

also,if the vehicle was subject to a company recall,no matter how small or minor,you wont be able to license the vehicle before the recall has been done by an authorized dealer...how do you find out ?
for 250 cdn,gm will send you and your provincial vehicle department a recall history of your car
i know
i imported a 98 c5 with a recall not done
good luck
bj
blackjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2009   #8
secondchance

Well, my buddy took the easy way - hired a broker who will truck it up and through the customs.
Now, all I need to do is hand over a check for the title, bring the car home and wait for the truck.

Thanks to all.
Old 08-24-2009   #9
DaveK

I also used a broker and was glad I did - apparently the customs guys can be pretty nit-picky with people trying to do it themselves. Also the US title needs to travel with the car - I didn't realise and the seller sent it to me only for me to have to send it back...
1991 #1516 Black/Black

davidmkelly.com

"Speed is often confused with insight." - Johan Cruijff
DaveK is offline   Reply With Quote