ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 09-06-2013   #31
Dynomite

Default Re: engine wear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 90ZR1#1221 View Post
Well I brought my old oil filter in to work today (I sell construction equipment) had one of the mechanics look at and apparently all the crap in the filter was paint from the hacksaw blade I used to cut the filter open with... Rookie mistake I know. But there was no metal in the media itself. I had them use a filter cutter to cut open the other filter I put on it to flush the engine and once again there was no metal. I just got to get those last three little bolts out and the pan will be ready to come off but the guys in my shop just think I'm being overly dramatic.

That is extremely good news...but does not explain what you seen on dipstick and in oil you drained quite yet unless that is the "Overly Dramatic" Part

Quote:
Shut the car off and checked the engine oil which I do religiously. Upon inspection it was low. Very low. I also saw what I thought at first glance was bubbles but upon further inspection was shiny bits of metal. Put a magnet to it, it's not magnetic. Now I know the engine is going to wear and there will be metal in the oil but enough that it shows up on the dipstick?
Quote:
So drained the oil and cut the filter open. Both the engine oil and the filter were full of what I would say looks like brass. It's not magnetic however did find a few pieces of metal that stick to my magnet. Took an oil sample which will get sent out tomorrow to see exactly what types of metals I have in there. Till then it'll be sitting in my garage under the car cover till I figure out what my next move is.
Or....Maybe we did not understand that the oil was actually clear when you drained the oil and what you seen on the dipstick was in fact bubbles

But then again...you did say your oil pan bolts had dropped out....almost half of the fourteen 8mm bolts
Quote:
I found the problem to my oil leak too. The pan was probably missing five or six bolts.

Last edited by Dynomite; 09-06-2013 at 07:22 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #32
mike100

So it sounds like the engine got low on oil and the lifters got noisy. Should be ok.

My earlier comment about looking at dirty motor oil in good light still holds- there's all kinds of micro particles that may or may not mean anything.
mike100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #33
90ZR1#1221

Got the pan out and well there's nothing unusual. Just a lot of dirt. Between the heat shields, jacking the motor up and everything else I can already see that it's going to be twice as much fun to put it back in the car. So if anyone has tips to get it back in it would be greatly appreciated. And note to self I need to go buy 1/4" swivels
90ZR1#1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013   #34
Dynomite

Quote:
Got the pan out and well there's nothing unusual. Just a lot of dirt. Between the heat shields, jacking the motor up and everything else I can already see that it's going to be twice as much fun to put it back in the car. So if anyone has tips to get it back in it would be greatly appreciated. And note to self I need to go buy 1/4" swivels
I use a bit (small bit) of Permatex Super "300" Form A Gasket on both sides of the oil pan gasket where oil is involved (making sure all surfaces are dry before using the Permatex)

Jerry's pan gasket for the 90'-92' requires a new "O" ring which is the same diameter but thicker for the oil pick up. Just make sure you keep that "O" ring in place as you position the oil pan with new gasket.

I use Blue Loctite on ALL Oil Pan Bolts.

Installing New Oil Pan Gasket

Last edited by Dynomite; 09-06-2013 at 11:16 PM.
Old 09-06-2013   #35
Kevin

hope you get it back together soon. hope to see you out and about
Old 09-06-2013   #36
90ZR1#1221

Would you recommend getting two gaskets since its my first time putting the pan back in? In case I mess one up. Also does anyone make a pan bolt kit cuz I just want to put all new pan bolts back in the car. And is there a torque spec for the pan bolts?

Last edited by 90ZR1#1221; 09-06-2013 at 11:21 PM.
90ZR1#1221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013   #37
Dynomite

Default Oil Pan Gaskets, Bolts, Oil Level Sensor

Quote:
Would you recommend getting two gaskets since its my first time putting the pan back in? In case I mess one up. Also does anyone make a pan bolt kit cuz I just want to put all new pan bolts back in the car. And is there a torque spec for the pan bolts?
One gasket is enough......I think

On Jerry's page you have the Oil Pan Gasket Installation Guide, Oil Pan Gasket for 90', Oil Pump Suction Pipe "O" Ring.

Jerry's Oil Pan Gasket and Associated

Typically.......6 mm bolts go 89 in-lbs (three in front of Oil Pan)
Typically.......8 mm bolts go 19 ft-lbs (fourteen in rear of Oil Pan)

Clean ALL Oil Pan Bolt Holes with cue tip and gas or something similar. Use Blue Loctite (242) on ALL Oil Pan Bolts. As you already know, I use thin coat of Permatex on both sides of the oil pan gasket.

The TRICK is balancing that "O" ring in place while keeping the gasket in place at the same time you start and snug up one 8mm bolt on each side of the oil pan. After that.....you are home free

Here are the 8mm oil pan bolts (ten) except those two on each side which are studs that hold the exhaust shields. And except the three front 6 mm bolts. Jerry's oil pan bolts

You need Four Heat Shield Oil Pan Studs/Bolts

You need Four Heat Shield Nuts

For your 90' you need Three Oil Pan Front Three 6 mm Bolts

Quote:
Shut the car off and checked the engine oil which I do religiously. Upon inspection it was low. Very low. After I let it sit again for a few hours and looked at it when I pulled the dipstick the oil barely reads up the dipstick.
On a 91' You would have seen a Low Oil Level Indicator on your readout above the radio when you first start the engine. The Oil Level Sensor was not used on a 90' unfortunately for you.

I am still looking for an LT5 Oil Level Sensor as Jerry does not stock those as far as I can tell

Last edited by Dynomite; 09-07-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Old 09-07-2013   #38
A26B

Dynomite aka Mr. Solutions: Thank you for the referral!! I will see if I can find the LT5 Oil Level Sensors!!

90ZR1#1221: Here's a link list for the items you might want to obtain. I don't think there is any need to buy all new bolts, only the ones you need.

Front Pan Bolts, 6mm
http://jerrysgaskets.com/store2/root...roducts_id=240

Side & Rear Pan Bolts
http://jerrysgaskets.com/store2/root...roducts_id=304

Pan Studs
http://jerrysgaskets.com/store2/root...roducts_id=303

Loctite 243 for Pan Bolts (Exterior) & Pan Baffle Bolts (interior)
http://jerrysgaskets.com/store2/root...roducts_id=591

Pan Gasket with Seal
http://jerrysgaskets.com/store2/root...products_id=16

Cleaner for gasket surfaces, tapped bolt holes, bolts and general purpose cleaner.
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=119712_0_0_

Oil Pan Gasket Installation Guide
http://jerrysgaskets.com/store2/root...roducts_id=732
1994 ZR-1, Black/Black, Lingenfelter Aerobody, 416cu in, 3.91 gears, coil-over susp, Brembo brakes, etc.
2016 Black-Red, 3LT-Z51 Auto 8-speed.
A26B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013   #39
scottfab

Quote:
You can find all of the oil pan bolts at an ACE hardware store.
The torque specs are on page 6A2-88.
Oil Pan to Crankcase Bolt is 20ft/lb.

Vett owner since 1979._It's about the car and the people
scottfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013   #40
Dynomite

Default Oil Level Sensors

Jerry my man.......those were Left Clickable Links in RED I call them Descriptive Links.
Anything underlined and especially in Bold Red is left Clickable
That is my story and I am sticking to it.

Oh...and I might add....when you buy from Jerry expect the most professional Packaging of Gaskets and expect two day delivery...Maybe three day if post lady is lazy.

And that Post above is referenced in Solutions under the Heading ENGINE LUBRICATION SYSTEM
New Oil Pan Gasket and Bolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by A26B View Post
Dynomite aka Mr. Solutions: Thank you for the referral!! I will see if I can find the LT5 Oil Level Sensors!!
Jerry....I looked at your NEW 90' oil pan and that is how I found out I do not have an Oil Level Sensor on my 90'.......and that was a great description of that issue associated with the Oil Level Sensor NOT in production untill 1991 New 1990 Oil Pan

The Oil Pan for 1990, 91 & 92 are interchangable with the only difference being, the 1990 LT5 engine was not equipped with a Low Oil Level Sensor. The extra material was cast into the pan but not machined for the screw-in sensor. As such, the oil level indicator would not be functional if the 1990 oil pan is used for 1991 & 1992 applications

First two photos are of a Brass Oil Level Sensor threaded Connecter and the last three photos are of a Plastic Oil Level Sensor threaded Connector.

Brass Oil Level Sensor 93'-95' Jerrys Brass Oil Level Sensor 93' to 95'

Plastic oil Level Sensor 91'-92' Summit Racing Oil Level Sensor
Jerrys Plastic Oil Level Sensor

I learn something every day

Jerry.....there is an identical Solutions on two web sites just for your information and both updated continuously

Last edited by Dynomite; 12-14-2017 at 01:01 PM.