ZR-1 Net Registry Forums  

Go Back   ZR-1 Net Registry Forums > C4 ZR-1 > C4 ZR-1 Technical Postings

Old 10-21-2013   #91
Dynomite

Default Permatex Super 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schrade View Post
What is Permatex? I know the brand name, but which of their products are you referring to, for the coolant pipe-to-hose connection seals ?
You just had to ask

I use this Permatex Super 300......seems to work great for me

Oh...yes.....it is not so easy to remove my Permatex Super 300 gaskets (I use single edge razer blade) but having said that....it is hard to imagine a gasket that is not sticking upon removal also sticking enough to do its job......if that makes any sense

I have NO leaks on ZR1 (LT5s), Corvette (L98s), Toyota Trucks, John Deer Tractors......

I use Permatex Super 300 on gaskets such as oil pan, Injector Housing Gasket to Head, and water pump gasket (including thermostat gaskets or in our case thermostat mating surfaces) where oil or coolant is involved. I also use a bit of this Permatex on coolant pipes by lightly coating the inside of the hoses before I slip them on the coolant pipes. I also use Permatex Super 300 on oil pan drain plug metal gaskets and oil pan drain plug threads. I do not use Permatex on Head Gaskets, Plenum Gaskets, or Cam Covers.

On gaskets, I coat each side of the gasket lightly (very lightly) with Permatex Super 300 and then let it sit until the Permatex gets tacky such that the gasket will stick in place (helps keep gaskets in place while placing water pump or oil pan for example).

Permatex Super 300 is a non-hardening sealant designed to resist heat transfer fluids such as oil or antifreeze. Temperature range -65°F to 400°F (-54°C to 204°C); resists antifreeze, aviation fuels, aggressive detergent bearing oils and lubricants - See more at: http://www.permatex.com/products-2/p....cpTjeJ8R.dpuf

There....admitted it....let the debate begin......
This is one of those personal preference things where there are many opinions.

Last edited by Dynomite; 10-21-2013 at 10:47 PM.
Dynomite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013   #92
Schrade

Default Re: TOP END REFINISHING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynomite View Post
I use this Permatex......seems to work great for me

Non-hardening sealant designed to resist heat transfer fluids such as oil or antifreeze. Temperature range -65°F to 400°F (-54°C to 204°C); resists antifreeze, aviation fuels, aggressive detergent bearing oils and lubricants - See more at: http://www.permatex.com/products-2/p....cpTjeJ8R.dpuf
I gotta' check MSDS for chemical makeup...

I've heard of NON-hardening RTV - Room Temperature Vulcanizing, but it's absolutely a mess at dis-connect time.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
alright - re-read for edit.................
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]

Last edited by Schrade; 10-21-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Schrade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #93
Dynomite

Default Hose Clamps

Quote:
I think mine are original hose / clamp connections. After about an hour, and a busted knuckle, the hose 'assembly' is not out of the way yet.
If you use SAMCO Hose Clamps for example you can use an 8mm socket and 1/4 inch socket wrench with two 1/4 inch universal joints with a short and long extension. The screw on the SAMCO hose clamp is 8mm. You can set the hose clamps such that they can easily be reached with the 1/4 socket combination....even the Water pump hose connection on the thermostat housing from the passenger side frame rail.

I like the SAMCO Hose Clamps because they do not bite into any kind of coolant hose you might use. And......using an 8mm socket rather than a long screw driver with no universal joint gives you all kinds of options in those tight areas for tightening the various hose clamps.

Be very careful moving the AC compressor around with hoses attached to the Evaporator

Last edited by Dynomite; 10-22-2013 at 03:28 PM.
Old 10-22-2013   #94
carter200

Quote:
I've run out of solvent. Break time.

No thoughts on the coolant crossover in Red?

I like the idea of the red. Go for it!!!

LT5 Reg# 868 *RIP*
ZR1NET Founding Mem #155
carter200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #95
XfireZ51

Do you still want the thumbnails?
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013   #96
Dynomite

Quote:
No thoughts on the coolant crossover in Red?......
Marc has some nice BLACK coolant hoses that would look good with red coolant crossover and red Injector Housing Coolant Manifolds......

I used Marc's BLACK coolant hoses on my 90' with SAMCO Hose Clamps.

Last edited by Dynomite; 10-22-2013 at 09:22 PM.
Old 10-22-2013   #97
Schrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by XfireZ51 View Post
Do you still want the thumbnails?
No - sure don't there Dominic; I thought maybe you'd written a VBS / batch script to wipe them from my posts.

I'm not loading to 3rd party host, but if you want me to, no problem...
I'm getting my snappics / threads removed blindly as fast as I can, to get in compliance with copyright / license TOS on the boards here (lots of FSM pages and other copyright / license violations on my part; sorry guys). And thanks to all the guys who didn't whine when I posted those FSM copyrighted / licensed stuff in my threads...

( :thumbsup: [b]and to think I complied with a mod's request to delete a pic of him in a Challenge Car in NCM Museum, so he wouldn't get in hot water)[/b]

Thanks to several guys here for sending parts FREE; BearlyFlying, WeGone, Geezer, GoldCylon, and more there, TonyD, mike100, fletchusmc...

1990 #2794; 4L60e Stage V by RPM Transmission, TCI Dedicated TCM, OBX Stainless, Power Effects 3"

[IMG]https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-GHpfzty7DVU/UQn-0Ru2xAI/AAAAAAAAA14/08mz1p4QLD4/s445/Screenshot-5.png[/IMG]
Old 10-22-2013   #98
XfireZ51

Quote:
No - sure don't there Dominic; I thought maybe you'd written a VBS / batch script to wipe them from my posts.

I'm not loading to 3rd party host, but if you want me to, no problem...
Just post links in main body of post. No need to upload attachments.
1984 Corvette Z-51/4+3 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Aqua/Gray #474 SOLD
1992 Corvette ZR-1 Black Rose/Cognac #458
2014 Honda VFR Interceptor DX
XfireZ51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2013   #99
Schrade

Where does this line 'sit'?

I'm not asking TO what - it's a TB extension vac line; if I swing it down, under the A/C connector, behind the alternator, it's pointing UP.

Just cant find where it 'lays' right...

Is this correct? Or had I already moved the vac line at this point?

Last edited by Schrade; 10-29-2013 at 06:50 PM.
Old 10-29-2013   #100
Dynomite

Goes to Charcoal canister Control Valve from under front of plenum.
I think I ran it behind the AC.

Last edited by Dynomite; 10-29-2013 at 07:17 PM.